Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Twisted leaders vs singe strand.
January 12, 2015, 09:58:34 AM
Hi,

I was hoping for peoples input on this topic as I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

I currently run twisted leaders for most of my popping and surface fishing. From 30-40 pound leaders on bay kingfish to 100-150 pound leaders for GT's I have found these to be very abrasion resistant especially in tight terrain and haven't found them to inhibit the poppers action.

Do people find the twisted leaders inhibit the action of stick baits?

If so what is your recommendation for abrasion resistant single strand leaders?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Twisted leaders vs singe strand.
January 22, 2015, 05:07:06 PM
Hi,

Perhaps I should ask what leaders people recommend if they are not using a twisted leader for abrasion resistance when fishing coral, reef and rocky areas for GT's on poppers and stick baits.

Appreciate any comments guys as I'm keen to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 22, 2015, 05:51:40 PM
Stick to whats working and you know and feel confident with. No, Twisty leaders don't muck stickbaits around from my use, but just balance overall pound strengths to be just the minimum. For example on say a Gamma 90g I've used 100lb Twisty, no problems.

Tight Lines !.

Regards

Leo

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
January 22, 2015, 05:55:08 PM
Hi Lucas,

If your happy with it and the results is good then there is no need to change it,
I ran twisty on all my popping outfit with all confidence and i will not look back, as far as stickbait performance i don't believe that it will affect the swimming action.

Tight lines
     Sami

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 22, 2015, 08:54:28 PM
Hi,

Thanks Leo and Sami.

Appreciate your comments.

I do have much more confidence attaching my favourite lures to a twisted leader and throwing into harsh environments rather than a single strand leader. And using that example of a 90 gram gamma attached to 100 pound twisty I should be right as I very rarely fish lighter than 90 gram lures when targeting GT's.

Have mostly used poppers and the occasional stick bait in the past but believe I have been missing out on many fish for this so have updated the surface lure supply to include a wider range of stick baits.

Cheers.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 23, 2015, 08:02:09 AM
Hi Lucas,

No worries Lucas. Ha yes, updating lure collection is like stamp collecting for us blokes....you just got to have that one more  ???.

Tight Lines !.

Regards

Leo