Luke Nicholson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice on fishing Costa Rica
January 21, 2015, 07:09:33 PM
Fella's I'm after some advice on fishing in Costa Rica. My soon to be wife & I are heading there for a week for our honeymoon in early July. While fishing isn't my main priority (unfortunately) I would love to get away for a day or two & chase some species (would love to tick a rooster fish off my list). Should I bother taking my own gear to try & land one on a stickbait, keeping in mind it needs to come with me from Australia to the USA for the wedding & family duties then down to Costa Rica then back to Australia. Or should I just stick with what the local operators provide. Also any recommendations on local charter operators, we are staying in the Guanacaste area.

Many thanks.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Advice on fishing Costa Rica
January 31, 2015, 05:21:54 PM
Giving this a bump for you. Hopefully our Southern, Central and North American mates have some advice for you!

Luke Nicholson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 31, 2015, 07:10:19 PM
Cheers Luke, hopefully someone that can give me some advice see's this.

Hamad Alroumi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2015, 03:19:02 AM
Hello,
I haven't been there but hopefully in the future !
http://www.fishfishme.com/en/fishing-charters/near/costa-rica
Check out this it might help you

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2015, 06:50:46 AM
Hi Luke,
A couple of years ago I went on a surf trip to Costa Rica and stayed at Playa Hermosa for 2 weeks. We traveled up and down the coast surfing lots of beachs and points. Every morning no mater what area we where at there was some bait fish work ups in the surf. I was gutted I didn't take a rod and lures with me!
Hope this helps.

Dan

Luke Nicholson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 02, 2015, 03:24:36 PM
Cheers Fella's all info is greatly appreciated.

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 09, 2015, 05:36:52 AM
Hello Luke,

We have been there in 2012 for 8 days fishing. First in the nord ( Pacific ) and last for days in Sierpe.
In the nord it was quiet slow. In Sierpe it was good. But not much big fish. 2 amberjacks around 35 and 45 kg.
We had total 18 species of fish. I would take 1 jigging rod around 250gr PE 6 and 2 casting rods ( PE5 and PE8 ).
You don,t lose a lot of tackle over there. Most successful jigs where Hooker 7 anathan. For poppers Heru Cubera.

Best regards,

Arnout.