Topwater Scombridae: Southern & Northern Bluefin Tuna (BFT), Yellowfin Tuna (YFT), Dogtooth Tuna > Tackle & Techniques

Long tail tuna NSW mid North Coast.

(1/5) > >>

Lucas Nixon:
Hi,

I'm  based in the Hunter Valley and fish the Port Stephens area whenever I get a chance. Weather and work permitting I am hoping to get into some long tail tuna (Northern bluefin) when they come through in another 6-8 weeks.

I know most guys that target them sit on or just off headlands with a live bait and wait it out. I get to anxious just sitting in a boat and prefer to move and cast at whatever I'm chasing.

Does anyone have experience targeting long tail tuna on the cast around this area?

I know it's a viable option much further North but would love to hear if anyone gets stuck into them here.

Thanks and appreciate any comments or feedback.

Lucas.

Alex Gomez:
Hi Lucas,

I don't have experience of fishing for them yet, however I am taking my boat up for Easter and hope to get in to them.

I think most people hang live baits under floats but I too am keen to try casting at them with stickbaits, however I have no idea what size lures to use, not sure if you could troll small skirts for them either?

I did see a programme with Lee Rainer and George Trinkler catching them on livies and they are definitely a viable target once they arrive there.

I also saw them on AFN being caught on Sebile stick shads.

Good luck!

Lucas Nixon:
Hi Alex,

Cheers for the reply.

Yea nice I have been using sebile stick shadds recently for kings, tailor and salmon in the wash around the same area but on fairly light gear PE 2 PE 3. Would definitely know about it if a long tail gets a hold.

I have seen that footage. Will be having a try in that area (West of Broughton Island) but lately I have been having more success heading South once outside the heads rather than North. The Broughton Island area gets smashed at this time of the year and all the boat traffic seems to push the fish a bit deeper. No good for those of us who are targeting them off the surface.

Will let you know if we have any success and keep us posted on your results.

Cheers,

Lucas Nixon:
Hi Alex,

Mate I've just got back from a month away with work and reports are there's a few long-tails around so might have to sneak out for a look.

Hope you get a few if your still heading up for Easter.

Cheers.

Lucas Nixon:
Hi Alex,

Mate I can report that there's plenty of mid size Mack tuna offshore and around the bay at the moment. No joy on the long tails for me today however we did raise a nice black marlin that would have been a handful on light gear.

Back at it next weekend hoping for some more top weather.

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version