Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Long tail tuna NSW mid North Coast.
January 31, 2015, 05:30:41 PM
Hi,

I'm  based in the Hunter Valley and fish the Port Stephens area whenever I get a chance. Weather and work permitting I am hoping to get into some long tail tuna (Northern bluefin) when they come through in another 6-8 weeks.

I know most guys that target them sit on or just off headlands with a live bait and wait it out. I get to anxious just sitting in a boat and prefer to move and cast at whatever I'm chasing.

Does anyone have experience targeting long tail tuna on the cast around this area?

I know it's a viable option much further North but would love to hear if anyone gets stuck into them here.

Thanks and appreciate any comments or feedback.

Lucas.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Long tail tuna NSW mid North Coast.
February 01, 2015, 02:09:56 PM
Hi Lucas,

I don't have experience of fishing for them yet, however I am taking my boat up for Easter and hope to get in to them.

I think most people hang live baits under floats but I too am keen to try casting at them with stickbaits, however I have no idea what size lures to use, not sure if you could troll small skirts for them either?

I did see a programme with Lee Rainer and George Trinkler catching them on livies and they are definitely a viable target once they arrive there.

I also saw them on AFN being caught on Sebile stick shads.

Good luck!

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2015, 02:25:55 PM
Hi Alex,

Cheers for the reply.

Yea nice I have been using sebile stick shadds recently for kings, tailor and salmon in the wash around the same area but on fairly light gear PE 2 PE 3. Would definitely know about it if a long tail gets a hold.

I have seen that footage. Will be having a try in that area (West of Broughton Island) but lately I have been having more success heading South once outside the heads rather than North. The Broughton Island area gets smashed at this time of the year and all the boat traffic seems to push the fish a bit deeper. No good for those of us who are targeting them off the surface.

Will let you know if we have any success and keep us posted on your results.

Cheers,

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2015, 11:48:14 PM
Hi Alex,

Mate I've just got back from a month away with work and reports are there's a few long-tails around so might have to sneak out for a look.

Hope you get a few if your still heading up for Easter.

Cheers.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 29, 2015, 07:58:40 PM
Hi Alex,

Mate I can report that there's plenty of mid size Mack tuna offshore and around the bay at the moment. No joy on the long tails for me today however we did raise a nice black marlin that would have been a handful on light gear.

Back at it next weekend hoping for some more top weather.

Cheers.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 11:39:16 AM
Hi Lucas, I'm headed out Friday morning!  Weather is looking great, overcast with 1m swell early on.

Can't wait, there should still be plenty of marlin and also Mahi Mahi around the fish traps.

I'm ready to go with some small Gammas and a new MC works Lightning rod!  Will also hang some slimies off floats if I can find them.

Whats the water temp?

The longtails could turn up at any point I suppose, fingers crossed!

AG

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 05:36:50 PM
Hey mate.

Nice one.

Water temp was 22.5 - 23 degrees and we found the slightly warmer water more productive.

Slimies are plentiful around North Eastern tip of Cabbage tree island on your way out.

Also found bait balls with tuna and marlin half way between Broughton and Cabbage Tree in 30-50m of water.

Good luck and chances are I may see you out there depending on work. Fingers crossed I'm not working.

Cheers.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 10:31:40 PM
Sounds awesome, cheers Lucas!

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 10:43:54 PM
Quick question, were you out in the morning or afternoon?

Thanks

AG

Hey mate.

Nice one.

Water temp was 22.5 - 23 degrees and we found the slightly warmer water more productive.

Slimies are plentiful around North Eastern tip of Cabbage tree island on your way out.

Also found bait balls with tuna and marlin half way between Broughton and Cabbage Tree in 30-50m of water.

Good luck and chances are I may see you out there depending on work. Fingers crossed I'm not working.

Cheers.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 31, 2015, 05:54:23 PM
Last weekend we went early mate.

Back inside the heads just after lunch.

Sun rise through port Stephens heads is enough to get me up early it's an awesome spot.

All depends on the tides and more so the breeze for us. I'm in a 4.8m centre console so when it gets sloppy out it makes life a little uncomfortable.

Cheers.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 31, 2015, 10:46:22 PM
Sweet, I'll be on the water for 5.30!

I'm in a 4.2m CC!

Robert johnson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 02, 2015, 12:48:30 PM
Hey mate if you want to target LT on spin and not live bait pencil poppers, Xwraps or small stickbaits will work.
Early morning and late Arvos are best there, you will either have to just keep blind casting or be ready for a Gar shower and cast in front of them and you don't have to reel the lure in super quick just get it working nicely.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2015, 05:45:27 PM
Thanks Robert,

Thanks for that.

Would a smaller sebile stick shad or similar be effective?

Mate I was left a nervous wreck last weekend while collecting bait in a bait fishing only zone.

There were some XOX kings or tuna possibly even little black marlin destroying the bait schools right on sunrise.

In the end I couldn't take it anymore and had to leave....

Robert johnson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 03, 2015, 10:22:27 PM
There's no reason they shouldn't I like 150mm or around that size for longtails

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 04, 2015, 05:44:24 PM
Any joy Alex?

Will be hitting it early Monday it looks ok at the moment.

Worst case will have a look for a few inside the bay in the channel.

Hope you got some action.

Cheers.