• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SW20000PG for popping
February 03, 2015, 12:20:12 AM
Hi Kenny,

Assuming you are talking about an SW Stella; I can tell you that it is totally fine to do so, should your budget be limiting you to a single reel. I did it when i first started because I began jigging, rather than popping, and didn't have the money for both initially. The drawback is that due to the slower retrieval rate you will find, especially when using surface stickbaits, that recovering the line after a sweep will require a fair bit more winding. It will certainly be more of a workout! When you can afford it, get the 18K for popping; you will notice a big difference after a day of casting! There is a slight weight difference too which is negligible really and casting off the 20K spool may be very marginally different in casting distance in comparison because it is wider in diameter.

That is my humble opinion if your budget is tight. Coming from my limited experience compared to many other members of this great forum.

Take care.
Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:14:42 AM by Amr Kehila

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 01:58:12 AM
No problems at all when you're using a popper.

It's a little more difficult to work a stickbait with but doable.

Trev
Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:59:54 AM by Trevor Skinner

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 11:17:03 AM
Thanks guys.  ;)

Dan Cooper

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 12:39:35 PM
I pop and stickbait using an 08 20K. Mind you, this is off the bricks chasing kings, where im only fishing for a couple of hours at a time.

If you have used HG reels alot in the past then it may feel a bit sluggish and hard to keep up, but once you get a rythm going working a stickbait with a PG reel, you eventually don't really think much about it. Just a faster tempo.

This is my experience anyway, I'm sure there are alot better people on here able to offer advice on the subject

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 03:09:36 PM
I am one of the rare few who prefers a slower speed reel. Even for popping. Difference tho is that I am right handed but use the right hand to crank as well. I just crank faster. :)

In fact - I used the new 5500h but could not quite get used to the speed. At least for a few hours. Got the hang of it only after then.

Prefer a slow speed reel!

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 04, 2015, 02:09:20 AM
I find it much easier to adjust to a slower speed reel than a high speed reel. Sometimes it is hard to reel slow(with a high speed reel) and get the right cadence, especially for jigging. If I were stuck with 1 reel it would be a slower speed reel. I can always reel faster.

Case in point, I have a Van Staal 275 which is very slow gearing. It makes it on every trip with me and gets used quite a bit for jigging, popping and stickbaits. My Saltigas with 5.7:1 gears stay on my casting setups. Except the 3500/4000 which have small enough spools to be used for jigging even with the high gear ratio.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
February 04, 2015, 03:34:28 PM
Amr summed it up perfectly for you  ;)
right on the money!

Tight lines
    Sami

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 05, 2015, 11:38:25 AM
Hi Zeck,

Long time no see or hear from you.  ;D

Same as u, I'm one of the few who crank using right hand...hahahaha

Preparing for a big trip and has 2 x 08 Stella SW20000PG in hand now. So looking to get another 1 or 2 new Stella and thus contemplating on whether to get a HG or PG.  ;D

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences.
Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:41:02 AM by Kenny Tan