Ken Miyamoto

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Land-Based GT popping in QLD
January 15, 2015, 08:03:20 PM
Hi, I live in sunshine coast QLD and I've tried land based GT around hervey bay area and Noosa heads. but haven't caught any GTs. I'm looking for decent sized GTs like over 20kgs. Someone on the internet said Caloundra headland is also good for land based GT popping. Well the only place I've seen GTs and nearly caught one was up on Urangan pier. There were really good ones..... some came out under the pier for my lure, but they didn't take it... so if anyone knows where to go for land based GT popping around here, can you please tell me? I've been really struggling to find..... Thanks 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Land-Based GT popping in QLD
January 31, 2015, 05:25:43 PM
Are you willing to travel? There are excellent grounds up around 1770 and Rocky etc...

Study charts and Google Earth and look for structure with current!

It's also worth a crack off Indian Head and surrounds at Fraser Island.

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 11, 2015, 12:59:59 AM
Used to get them land based at Shute Harbour Whitsundays. 

That was 14 years ago though so don't know what their status is there any more. 

Ken Miyamoto

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2015, 09:36:46 PM
Thanks for these replies guys, I've heard of 1770 and really keen to go there too. It might be the best place to go around here. Thanks guys.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2015, 08:59:26 PM
Hey mate,

Fished and camped in Deepwater NP near Agnes Water 1770 years ago when living up that way and got cleaned up a few times by GT's on our beach fishing gear fishing the shallows around rocky headlands etc. didn't stand a chance on general duty beach spinning gear. Heaps of sharks there too so a few fish lost esp towards last light. Also heard the guys pull good spaniards off the rocks there. Didn't have the time or the gear to further explore but looked like a good spot.

Do miss QLD. No GT's in central NSW....