Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Travel insurance recommendations.
February 22, 2015, 10:01:52 AM
Hey guys,

Just sorting travel insurance for an upcoming trip from Sydney to the South West Pacific.

I used to use Chartis Insurance who were great (had to make a few claims over the years) however they have been rolled into AIG now and I don't have experience with this provider.

Any experience based recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucas.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Travel insurance recommendations.
March 01, 2015, 07:40:10 AM
I used Travel Guard which is owned by AIG and have to file a claim from my recent trip to Sri Lanka. I'll let you know how it goes this week. AIG is a massive company and was helpful prior to the trip we'll see how they are on the back end.

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2015, 07:52:48 PM
I used Alliance for PNG and was bloody well priced as I was insured for $7k of gear.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't tell you what their claim service is like. For the price I paid I can't believe I never got travel insurance for (non fishing) trips to Europe, Japan and New Zealand that I've done..

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2015, 08:24:03 PM
Lucas - Chartis was simply the name AIG was using locally
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2015, 09:52:50 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Damien I have ended up booking with Alliance as it was also the recommended provider from my boat insurance provider Club Marine. Definitely worth getting that insurance it's just piece of mind especially with the often unpredictable weather and also domestic travel providers in remote areas aren't always as luggage conscious as we would like.

Courtland if my previous dealings with Chartis (AIG) was anything to go by you should be well looked after. Either way hope it's a good outcome for you when your claim is processed.

Thanks for pointing that out Brandon I probably should have dug a little deeper.

Cheers guys.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 03, 2015, 01:30:39 AM
Just made my first call to Travel Guard in reference to my situation, learned a lot.

Short story is my suitcase showed up 4 days late, once I got it, my tackle bag had been stolen from inside my suitcase. Tackle bag of course has 100's of items from leaders, scissors, swivels, hooks, etc....

They need an itemized list, OK with that.
They need me to follow up with airline first, Ok with that.
Then follow up with my Homeowners Insurance, not OK with that.
Then submit to them anything that the other 2 did not pay, not OK with that.

I was told I got 2nd tier insurance. Which means that they do not pay first. Apparently my math has them at 3rd tier. As far as the $300 delay allowance, you have to have bought replacement stuff, they don't just give it to you. Kind of hard to do in Sri Lanka when you make custom lures that are now missing.

The contents of the stolen bag will go over $1000 USD once I add up all the bits and pieces. It would have been easier if they stole some reels but the limit is just $1000.

I paid $125 for the insurance. The airline compensated me $60 per day($180 total) for the delayed baggage. Not sure how this will pan out in the end but it looks to be a major hassle because of the number of contents in the missing bag.

I likely have better things to do than follow this through, we'll see.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2015, 07:22:22 PM
Hey mate.

Sorry to hear that.

I definitely understand the frustration and perhaps this is a good learning tool for those who are yet to have to make a claim of their own.

I will be making itemised lists of all contents of my luggage from now on especially as you have mentioned the more expensive gear.

I hope that you don't have to fight for your gear to get replaced and that all is covered for you.

Best of luck.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 05, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
Hey mate.

Sorry to hear that.

I definitely understand the frustration and perhaps this is a good learning tool for those who are yet to have to make a claim of their own.

I will be making itemised lists of all contents of my luggage from now on especially as you have mentioned the more expensive gear.

I hope that you don't have to fight for your gear to get replaced and that all is covered for you.

Best of luck.

No worries. Just part of the game we play. I do have the unlucky horseshoe stuck somewhere on me. I have lost/delayed baggage on my last 3 fishing trips...oh well.

Here is the follow up:

I have filed a claim with the airline, my travel insurance and my homeowners. My homeowners agent told me NOT to file a claim with them for such a small amount that it would just cost me more in the long run(increased premiums). They told me my deductible was $2500. I made an itemized list of my tackle bag contents and it came to $1801.00, HOLY CRAP!

A few spools of flouro, 6 packs of trebles, new swivels and rings, scissor, lighter, pr bobbin.... I had taken photos as well, I always do while I pack. I just keep them on my phone with a picture of my passport, driver's license and anything I may forget. Helps to have it all in one place.

Anyway, the travel insurance says not to call back for at least 4 weeks but acknowledged the claim had been submitted. The homeowners is going to forward me a letter stating it is under the deductible which is what the travel insurance required. The airline has acknowledged receipt of my claim as well. So the ball is rolling.

Not an easy process.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 05, 2015, 11:40:44 PM
Very good points gents,
Insurance companies don't record record profits year on year by dishing out claims without a fight.  I have only ever claimed once for a camera but it was refused initially and then I pushed hard and got reimbursed. It was only $300 but if 90% of people give up because of process or small print it's a bit of a con.

Has anyone ever read any of the small print? I know I haven't you just assume that because you have it that your luggage contents etc is covered.

Lots of them also have an excess of say $500 so in a lot of cases it's not worth claiming unless the value of the items is greater.

You've got me thinking.... say club marine for instance, you insure your boat for $20000, but if it gets stolen with your gear/electronics in it, is it all covered? 

If not, how do you go about insuring your equipment, do you have to take it all to the insurer and do an audit!? Do you need a separate policy?

When rods and reels are $1000 each and lures $100+ it adds up very quickly.

I will call club marine to find out.

Cheers AG

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 10, 2015, 07:15:57 PM
Hi Alex.

Mate I'm unsure on that one. I will be very interested to hear your return with regards to the inclusions of items in the boat.

I am fairly certain that electronics accessories etc are covered but am unsure of rods, reels, cameras, tackle etc.

I really should read my policies front to back and not make assumptions.

Look forward to hearing your return.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 11, 2015, 07:42:40 AM
You'll find that most insurance companies like club marine...would have a upto amount threshold of fishing tackle part of the boat insurance. If indeed it was stolen whilst it was in the boat.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 01, 2015, 11:55:46 PM
Update: I got a call from Travel Guard that my claim had been approved. The check is in the mail, so to speak. I'll follow up with amount and timing as it develops. It has been 6 weeks since starting the process.

I feel the photographs helped tremendously. Both from my being able to catalog things and their realization that I "had proof".

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 02, 2015, 05:48:33 PM
That's good news Courtland.

Mate I will be doing up an inventory with pics of all items when travelling  from now on based on your recent experience.

6 weeks is slow really but fingers crossed you come out with correct compensation.

Cheers.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 03, 2015, 07:05:07 AM
Check came today for $1000.00 from the insurer. The total claim/value was $1800.00.

It states on the check that is the maximum payable amount for the policy for lost baggage.

Still no word from the airline. Not sure what I will do now. Better than a stick in the eye but not perfect.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 03, 2015, 05:33:15 PM
Hi Courtland,

Mate as you said better than a stick in the eye.

I hope the airline comes through with something for you.

Cheers.