Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Travel insurance recommendations.
May 05, 2015, 06:38:11 PM
Hi Courtland.

How did this all end up?

Did you get any compensation from the airline?

Hope all is well.

Cheers.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2015, 09:36:04 PM
The airline was Etihad, and no, I have not received any compensation from them. Actually I just sent them my last email yesterday. That will be 4 emails with no response on a thread in regards to the claim, with all the proper documentation.

I will start with calling sometime this week. Hopefully no need to get to the point of lawyers but I would like an answer, good or bad.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 29, 2015, 01:42:43 AM
Small update:

I got a packet from American Express about updating some card preferences. Things like Wi-Fi hot spots and airport lounge access and then I noticed down the list a ways a note about baggage insurance. I put in a call and I do in fact have coverage up to $3000 for my bags. AmEx has always been helpful and today was no exception. They opened a claim and I will have an answer in about 2 weeks.

I told them about the partial insurance payment made to me as I am just hoping for the $800 unpaid.

Still no word from Etihad even though they acknowledge proper receipt of the baggage claim over 3 months ago. 

Nicholas Santeloudi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 12, 2015, 03:40:04 PM
Further adding to the travel insurance argument has anyone used Covermore for travel insurance in the south west pacific?

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 14, 2015, 12:30:26 AM
It's critical to thoroughly read your policy disclosure document.

I thoroughly read all 58 pages of my policy disclosure document.  All sounded fine until page 57 which stated words to the effect of loss or damage to sporting equipment while in use is not covered.

What constituted 'in use' I thought. Was tackle simply laying on the floor of the boat considered 'in use' or was it something more direct such as physically holding the gear at the time.

Either way it certainly pays to school yourself up on the sections of deliberate abiguity in the policy document as thats what insurers  rely on wherever possible to exempt themselves from honoring a claim.

Nothing worse than paying premiums for years only to then find out you're not covered due to some obscure technicality.
Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:49:15 AM by Chris Toops