Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
progear oceanus 30
July 01, 2008, 12:23:05 PM
I heard that progear is either not making oceanus 30's or not making reels full stop - right when I started to get interested in one. Can anyone confirm/clarify that?

Mark Lewis

Re: progear oceanus 30
July 05, 2008, 02:57:46 AM
Rumors on this side of the pond is that Progear is no more.

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 05, 2008, 08:09:30 AM
Bluewater in Scarborough WA used to be a dealer here, but I noticed that they have taken them off their online store. Good price they were too at $429.00.

Give Hal Harvey a call or send him an e-mail as he will be able to answer your question.

www.bluewater.net.au/

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:12:14 AM by Ian Cook

MikeOsborn

July 07, 2008, 08:27:16 AM
I have also been tying to find out. I have a oceanus30 and love it.

there are a few faults with the reel but for the price I think its a great jigging reel

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 13, 2008, 02:58:27 AM
The ProGear Oceanus 30 is/was indeed a great reel, designed by JiggingMaster & distributed globally by JM agents.  Unfortunately, Progear experienced financial/structural issues, and no sooner than the first production run was produced & sold, than the company went MIA.  Any design issues that Mike suggested are due to the JM advice/requirement being ignored by a US manufacturer, Americans know everything right?  As far as I am aware, Oceanus in Australia is sold out, I can say definately that there are no more coming.

On a positive note, JM are in the infancy of developing a series of jigging reels to be released, if it gets to that stage, under the JM brand.  These will be totally state of the art.  Manufacturing is being seperated, ie, parts are being manufactured by different firms, according to their speciality, this also helps to protect JM intellectual property.

AWP

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2008, 05:34:26 PM
Any word on what exactly they are designing - overheads only? lever or star drag? Hope they cost the same as the oceanus 30 did.

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 31, 2008, 08:58:52 PM
Sam,
Propper jigging reels! twin lever drag overhead reels.  they are likely to be competitively priced, though not as inexpensive as the oceanus.
Andrew