Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Braid for casting stickbaits
March 06, 2015, 05:53:48 AM
I don't know what rods and drag you fish, but you may or may not run into problems of shockload explosions with pe6.

I fish lighter and just for yellowtail kingfish which mostly don't hit as hard as GT do. Still with a lighter pe4-6 rod and top quality pe4 I had it explode on the initial run with too much screwed down drag. Happened plenty of times on even lighter gear pushed to the max, but bringing a knife to a gunfight, this is to be expected.

The same will sometimes happen if you do the equivalent one level up with pe6 on a (true) pe8 rod with max drag.

I hear from the experienced guys that shockload is one of the most important factors fishing for big GT.
Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:57:40 AM by Felix Lux

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Braid for casting stickbaits
March 06, 2015, 03:19:46 PM
I don't know what rods and drag you fish, but you may or may not run into problems of shockload explosions with pe6.

I fish lighter and just for yellowtail kingfish which mostly don't hit as hard as GT do. Still with a lighter pe4-6 rod and top quality pe4 I had it explode on the initial run with too much screwed down drag. Happened plenty of times on even lighter gear pushed to the max, but bringing a knife to a gunfight, this is to be expected.

The same will sometimes happen if you do the equivalent one level up with pe6 on a (true) pe8 rod with max drag.

I hear from the experienced guys that shockload is one of the most important factors fishing for big GT.

Thanks Felix,

I will be testing the PE 6 Varivas designed for casting lures to GT's in October.

I honestly still believe that 85lb will be enough for what I want to do.

But the proof will be in the pudding or should i say photos...