Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saragosa SW drags
March 04, 2015, 06:08:29 PM
Hi.
Anyone got any ideas on this? Does anyone do aftermarket drag kits for these. Ive got an 8k model for lighter popping with 40lb braid but the drag still needs a bit of a tweak imho.
Cheers

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Saragosa SW drags
March 04, 2015, 07:14:28 PM
Hi Sachin I have an silver 8k Saragosa on one of my rods it took me a while to get used to the drag as its nowhere near the 8 or 10k stella but its still very smooth at its highest setting, aftermarket spools for the 2008 Stella will fit the reel and improve the maximum drag rating but I've left mine as it is as once you've forked out the extra cash for the spool you may as well have bought the Stella which pretty much defeats the point in my eyes.
The only upgrades I intend to do with mine is to replace the egg knob with a round version and change the plastic bushes in the handle out for bearings which is 5 minutes work with a screw driver and completely unnecessary lol.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 04, 2015, 08:15:47 PM
Yes. It's smooth without doubt but I think the reels not stressed. I got a 20 odd kilo gt on it on my light 40lb popping outfit and the fish had no probs pulling line. The one before that dusted me and left me thinking that a few more kegs of drag wouldn't hurt.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 04, 2015, 10:28:29 PM
Sachin,

Getting any 20 odd kilo GT out on 40lb is a pretty good effort. The amount of drag you could apply to stop a fish like that is more likely to be limited by the 40lb breaking strain of the line rather than the drag that the reel can handle.

Like Cam says, good reels at their price point but, like most things, there are compromises.

Regards,

Trev 

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 05, 2015, 03:14:21 PM
Hi Trevor. 40lb tuf line breaks above 50 pounds at least. I believe the reel may not be putting out the claimed 13kg drag. The spheros sw in the larger sizes is delivering below the spec. Wonder if the gosa maybe a bit down as well. Lets see if an upgrade comes up soon. Cheers

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 06, 2015, 10:33:33 PM
Smooth Drag is probably the best bet for aftermarket Carbontex washers I don't think they have the new Saragosa's listed yet but would probably be happy to assist.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2015, 08:45:02 AM
Yeah, nothing with Smooth yet. Can't be long though.

Matthew White

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 10, 2015, 07:24:17 PM
Hi Sachin, I have ran mine popping with 50lb jb solid and a fully locked drag couldn't break it. I do doubt the factory drag rating. They do have carbon washers from stock however so it would be interesting to see if the carbontex would actually increase pressure.

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 11, 2015, 12:23:41 AM
Stock drag inside saragosa sw 8000 - 10000 are already carbontex type

John Sykes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2017, 05:09:39 PM
Older post I know but if you are after max drag tweaking with carbon fibre isn't necessarily the best answer, point in case the Stellas don't actually run all carbon but a mix of carbon and a solid compressed graphite(?) material.  This all to do with the compressed material having a 100% usable surface area compared with the carbon fibre having less due to the weave, anyone that has seen the two standard thinknesses of CF would also note that the thinner size of 0.5mm(?) Has a finer weave and also a correspondingly higher drag capability.  Shimano run this compressed washer material in alot of their reels and I'm sure that there would be an equivalent size washer to the Saragossas' some where in their parts catalogue that could be substituted its just a matter of finding it.

Hope this helps someone, I am considering buying a 10000 Saragossa and will certainly be looking into this further myself.

Cheers,
John.