• Likes Given: 0
Hook recommendations for Heru lures
March 21, 2015, 09:18:39 PM
Hi all,

I will take some
- Heru Ulua 200
- Heru Wahoo 200
- Heru Cubera 180
lures on my next trip and I am wondering what hooks would ideally fit on them. If anyone has experiences with these lures and suitable hook setups, I'd be happy hearing your recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Have a great day,

Robert

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Hook recommendations for Heru lures
March 21, 2015, 10:28:00 PM
Big lures like that need big hooks.

Owner ST76 5/0s or equivalent.

Regards,

Trev

Hamad Alroumi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2015, 11:57:56 PM
My advise would be for the cubera
Owner st 76 0/5
And for the stick baits

Either you go with 0/5 trebles
Or 0/5 on the belly and 0/9 shout kudako in the tail

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
March 22, 2015, 01:42:19 PM
As much as I love the ST-76 as much as I hate them for the damage they do to the lure,
check the BKK GT-REX Treble Hooks 6071-7X-HG: http://www.saltywatertackle.com/home/bkk-gt-rex-treble-hooks-6071-7x-hg-1283.html
Good quality and great value, been using them for the past 6 month with some great results!

Tight lines
   Sami

Robert Woll

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 22, 2015, 08:42:25 PM
Thanks a lot, guys. You really helped me out. Fortunately, I have quite a good stock of ST-77 5/0 left over so I will go with these first and I will also try the single hook on the tail setup for the stickbaits and compare the action to a treble on the tail.

@Sami, thanks for the alternative hook advice but I will start with what I have. It's always good to know alternatives when stocks run low though =)

Trip report to follow in June!

Cheers,

Robert

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 23, 2015, 03:12:26 AM
I might ask what species you are after. I guess we all are assuming GT. I have fished the Heru line a good bit.

I like bigger hooks (5/0)on the tail and find until you get your rhythm, I stay away from singles on the tail of poppers. I think poppers just cast and sit better in the water with trebles on them.

Stickbaits are fine with singles on the rear as they swim MUCH better that way.

I do like a bit smaller hook on the belly. The Heru's lately seem to get water logged a bit and do not float as high as I'd like so a smaller belly hook keeps a bit of the weight off.

Although I have not tried the BKK, Sami of course knows of what he speaks. The 76's eat up a lure like no one's business.

One thing I like to do is go to a pond or dock and cast my lures before I fish them. I try a bunch of different hook setups and then take a Sharpie marker and make a small note directly on the lure as to what combinations I like. While fishing, I try to swap hooks from lure to lure so as to minimize waste. The hooks always rust once they get wet so I try to have just a few in rotation and the rest in their store bought packaging.

One neat trick I learned was to put your lure in a container and fill it with water, all the way to the very top. The lure will be floating at this point and the water will be almost dripping out of the container. This lure/container combo should be inside a larger container that can collect the excess water. Push the lure under water with tongs and collect the water that overflows the smaller container in the larger container. This excess water can be measured in a measuring cup/food scale. This is the displacement of that lure at that point in its life. You can then weight the hooks and rings that you intend to use and determine even before you get on the boat whether it will sit the way you want.

Scott Findlater

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 23, 2015, 01:07:59 PM

One neat trick I learned was to put your lure in a container and fill it with water, all the way to the very top. The lure will be floating at this point and the water will be almost dripping out of the container. This lure/container combo should be inside a larger container that can collect the excess water. Push the lure under water with tongs and collect the water that overflows the smaller container in the larger container. This excess water can be measured in a measuring cup/food scale. This is the displacement of that lure at that point in its life. You can then weight the hooks and rings that you intend to use and determine even before you get on the boat whether it will sit the way you want.

Sorry mate, not trying to be funny but I don't quite follow. How does this help you work out which terminal tackle to use?

Sctt

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 23, 2015, 09:34:16 PM
It lets you figure out the proper ballast for each lure. Adding grams here and there effect how your lure will sit in the water and therefore swim. Lures become waterlogged or even dry out and the weight changes. Therefore effecting how they sit and again, how they swim.

I like to have it figured out BEFORE I make that first real cast.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 23, 2015, 09:51:33 PM
As much as I love the ST-76 as much as I hate them for the damage they do to the lure,
check the BKK GT-REX Treble Hooks 6071-7X-HG: http://www.saltywatertackle.com/home/bkk-gt-rex-treble-hooks-6071-7x-hg-1283.html
Good quality and great value, been using them for the past 6 month with some great results!

Tight lines
   Sami
Hi Sami, do you know the weight (g) of these compared to the Owner equivalents please?

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
March 25, 2015, 02:48:56 AM

Hi Sami, do you know the weight (g) of these compared to the Owner equivalents please?
[/quote]

Hi Alex,
The following is the weight in g for each of the size hook for the BKK
5/0 10g
6/0 15g
7/0 20g

Tight lines
    Sami

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1