Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Temple Reef Reefer 711 pe 10
March 29, 2015, 05:24:46 PM
G'day all,

I'm new to the forum and the sport so take it easy on me.

Being a local resident of the Whitsundays, I felt it's time to put down the hand line and start sport fishing the islands and GBR.

I've put together a decent arsenal of equipment consisting of a 6500h Saltiga loaded with jb solid 80lb, reefer 711 and pretty much the whole nomad stick/popper range in 125g and 150g.

I've got a couple of questions regarding my setup:
1. I know it's rated as a pe 10 rod but I know from researching this forum that manufacturers often over rate their products capabilities so does anyone know whether the reefer will in fact handle pe 10?
2. Would I need an aftermarket spool to fit enough pe 10? The standard spool only fit 300m of 80lb jb.

Now I'm not stupid so there's no way I'm going to go straight to pe 10! I've got to blood myself with lower drag pressures etc before moving to the big stuff but am interested to know whether my rod is capable.

Cheers guys

Andrew Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Temple Reef Reefer 711 pe 10
March 30, 2015, 03:45:31 PM
Hi Mark,

You'll love the rod! Have one myself and fished PE10 over it. They are a great rod and perform extremely well for the price. It handled it no problem at all.

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 05:52:49 PM
Thank you Andrew.

I was able to purchase the rod in person and not unseen over the Internet meaning I got hands on experience and the salesman gave it a great report but a salesman will often tell you whatever it takes to make the sale. No offence intended to this particular store owner but more of a generalisation.

Does anyone have any info regarding the pe10 on the standard 6500 spool?

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 07:32:10 PM
Hi Mark,

Pe10 on the standard 6500 spool is fine and yes the rod will handle it but I would stick with pe8 more because of the lure size your using. I generally only fish pe10 with larger lures 180+ or u start sacrificing casting distance. 

Cheers
Chris

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2015, 09:10:04 PM
Cheers.

I have no intentions of going pe10 any time soon but am interested to know a little more about my gear. Not having a carpenter rod and Stella or dogfight reel has proven difficult to get a more first hand account of the performance on gt of the stuff.

With that info you've given me Christoffer, I find it odd that they rate the rod at pe10 yet also rate the lure max at 170g?

The lures sizes were dictated by my previous setup of a 20000 saragosa and daiwa demon blood 82xh. how they decided to rate it at 150-300g cast weight is beyond me as the thing struggled to bloop a 125g cubera out at max cast distance. I need to do a little overtime before I can start adding some larger lures to the collection.

Costly exercise this!