Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Salt Away
April 08, 2015, 08:39:56 PM
Hey guys,

Does anyone use and recommend salt away for cleaning their reels?

I use it to run through my boat motor after a trip and have recently started using it on rods, reels, lures and hooks etc and it seems to be extending the life of my terminal tackle.

Appreciate any recommendations as I'm starting to get an extensive and expensive armoury of equipment that I would like to last as long as possible.

Cheers.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Salt Away
April 08, 2015, 10:10:24 PM
I must admit I just use liberal amounts of unadulterated fresh water sprayed on and left in the sun to dry.

Regards,

Trev

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
April 09, 2015, 12:57:21 AM
I lock the drags and take them in a warm shower. After; i unlock the drags and wipe them down and then put them in the air to dry.

Because i use warm water, i usually lose the reel grease pretty quickly over time but i service regularly so it doesn't matter.

The plus size is zero rust on any of my fishing equipment after many multiple day trips covered in salt water.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 09, 2015, 05:09:46 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks. Yea I'm 100% with you on the fresh water.

Nothing gets an odd look from relatives or uneducated friends like disappearing into the bathroom with a handful of rods for a shower.

Will keep up the fresh water and maybe just do the occasional salt away spray after an especially choppy trip when you can literally see the salt crystals on your gear.

Cheers,

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2015, 12:05:30 AM
I'm led to believe that Salt Away is just an expensive gimmick.

Not having used it myself I can't speak from personal experience though.

After washing them in fresh water I spray the outside of my reels (particularly the line roller) with inox after each trip. I also spray stored terminal tackle with it as well.

After a few trips I'll give the rod guides and reel seat a going over with inox too.

Keeps all my tackle rust free and like new.

Before a trip I just wipe off any inox residue on the gear I'm using.
Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:13:03 AM by Chris Toops

Steven Larkins

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 22, 2015, 06:43:01 AM
I've been using a brand of silicone spray for external of reels, screws line rollers, rods especially in around the eyes and liberal amounts on lure metals, tow points, split rings and terminals. I have found it to be working great. Its not as sticky as lanolin however can be very slippery so I avoid reel handles and try to avoid line on the spool. After use of reel I wash down with warm water, wipe dry and apply silicone spray again wiping excess. So far I haven't heard from anyone else using this so would be keen for some feedback. I've used it on my Expedition for almost two years and it looks like new after application.
Thoughts anyone ?

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2015, 02:19:49 PM
I can't fault anything you're doing Steven.

I do exactly them same but just with a different product.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2015, 05:21:14 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I might look at keeping the salt away to run through my motor and possibly for use post heavy salt deposits as mentioned earlier.

When brought in bulk salt away is not expensive but I will definitely look at grabbing some inox as your not the first person to recommend this Chris. What are they worth a can $12-$13 can't go wrong?

What are people's thoughts on best reel grease for shimanos?

Cheers.

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 22, 2015, 07:44:49 PM
I temd to send my spinning reels in for service but my conventionals I've always done myself. There's  plenty of exspensive high quality reels greases out there but I've always used the Mercury  quicksilver  marine grease. A quick look at allan tanis forum will normally solve most reel maintenance issues and questions its great resource be sure to check it out.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2015, 07:57:20 PM
Will do Cameron thanks mate.

Mike Osborn

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 01, 2015, 09:11:21 AM
I'm led to believe that Salt Away is just an expensive gimmick.

I run a boat based in the Bahamas and we use it for flushing our outboards and jet ski's on a weekly basis, its amazing what comes out of the cooling system of the ski's when we flush them. Ive crossed the atlantic a couple of times now and we always use salt away before a wash down and it definitely helps with breaking down the baked on salt.

I don't know that I would use it on my reels though.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 06, 2015, 01:00:30 PM
I once left saltaway spray on a Saltiga for too long and it took the writing off of it.
I just tighten the drag and spray water then dry with a cloth and air dry.
Does the job.