Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting geared up for South Oman
April 05, 2015, 04:23:45 AM
Hi guys,

just started out GT fishing myself this year. Had a trip to the Laccadives this March and must say I was totally hooked from the second an angry GT smashed into my popper for the first time. Very very addictive!

I've got a trip to South Oman/Hallaniyat Islands this October and am slowly starting to get my gear together... here comes: what would you advise me to take with me? I've rented the gear on my last trip but want to get my own set of popping and jigging rods/reels for all the upcoming trips and would appreciate you putting me in the right direction, thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Ruben

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Getting geared up for South Oman
April 05, 2015, 04:33:15 AM
Which charter operator have you booked with?

Trev

Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2015, 04:41:34 AM
Hi Trevor,
booked my trip with the German agent for GetAway Tours... he told me they work with the guys who also run the trips for Ocean Active.
Bit confused myself on that one but that's what he told me as I asked him who they work with down there.

Ruben

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2015, 01:43:50 PM
Hi Ruben,

Haven't done the trip myself however I've read more than enough threads on here to know it's a pe10 minimum destination. Fast currents and big fish.

Have a read of this and it should point you in the right direction.

http://ebbtideadventures.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/gearing-up-for-your-oman-expedition.html?m=1

Never take anyone's opinions as gospel and be mindful of some of the threads on here recommending equipment. Especially regarding rods. Some of these threads are several years old so some of the equipment that's touted as the best will have been superseded by now and you'll waste too much time hunting for something that's un-obtainable or still commands a massive price tag despite not being as advanced as some of the more modern offerings. 

Just make sure you do your research because a bad decision in the gt world is an expensive mistake.

Cheers,
Rich

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 05, 2015, 02:31:13 PM
Ruben,

OA operate their own charters on Halaniyat but share resource (boats, accommodation etc).

No Boundaries insists on PE10 but not the other operators. I personally use PE8 and although I've been occasionally undergunned the same thing can be said for PE10. In my opinion, not many GT fisherman, even experienced ones, are able to safely put enough pressure on a big fish to make an appreciable difference to success rates. PE8 is also much easier to cast, metre for metre and that's a key consideration. As a huge generalization, the guy that casts furthest keeps his lure in the strike zone longest and gets the most hits, it's not rocket science.

Read every word of Brandon's preamble to this forum, both in terms of tackle and preparation. It's GT fishing 101. There's nothing particularly unique about Southern Oman other than a comparatively high incidence of very big fish.   

First rule, buy good quality. Most people choose a PE8-10 all rounder as a rod, between say 7'6 and 8 foot. The 7'6" rod will be easier when you hook up but the 8' rod will let you cast further more easily (thereby covering more ground or making it easier to hit the 'spot'). Lure weights up to 200g but be aware that rod makers famously over rate their rods. Budget will determine which brand and model you can get.

I personally wouldn't skimp on reels. I think there's two choices...Shimano Stella or the new Daiwa Saltigas (which I haven't personally tried or seen, just based on reports). Beg, borrow, steal or buy second hand from a reliable source. I know guys that claim that their lesser reel works fine but not with truly big GTs, at least not more than once or twice. There was a 63kg beast put on the deck last week, the rod was a mid level Hots 77XH (good choice that one) but there was no compromise on the reel. 

Lures...if I had to take just 3 lures with me to Halaniyat it would be a 150/180g popper, a 160/200g floating stickbait and a big pencil. That's not hard and fast of course, I've seen big fish caught on 120g lures and, at times, a sinking stickbait is handy as well. 

DO NOT SKIMP ON TERMINALS. The absolute best hooks, swivels and split rings you can buy...period.

There are many other things that make up the tackle for a trip. Leader, pliers, gloves..etc etc but at least what I've given you is a start.

Once you get your rod, reel and a lure or two take it down the beach and give it a blast. Like I said earlier, the best casters get the better opportunities and you don't need to be on the boat or in a shop (or on the internet) to get that part of your preparation going.

That time of year also brings a good chance of a sailfish and probably one of the best topwater Amberjack bites anywhere in the world but that's all for another discussion.

Above all, have fun

Regards,

Trev

Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:22:30 PM by Trevor Skinner

Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2015, 05:23:00 PM
Thank you guys for the the detailed answers, much appreciated!!!

Trevor, I've got a new Stella SW 18000 coming my way these days to start with. Might get a second - smaller - one soon for a lighter set-up. Not just for Oman, just generally. Budget is not really an issue, thank god  ;)

Will have a good look into PE8 & 10 rods next, thanks! It's a hard one here in Germany as there are no specialized dealers or tackle shops so I'd have to order myself via internet or take a flight half way round the world to go shopping LoL. I'm fine on pliers, belt, terminal tackle etc. as I already had to buy it for the Laccadives trip earlier this year.

Cheers
Ruben

As for the boat... it looks like we'll be fishing from a boat that - as you've stated above - gets used by OA on a regular basis. Don't ask me which one though  ;)
Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:29:31 PM by Ruben Frank

Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2015, 12:40:47 AM
Thinking of investing in a pair of Saltywater Tackle "Racepoint" 200 & 250 rods... The 200 for medium sized poppers and stick baits due to softer tip and the extra length (think it's 8,2" if I'm not mistaken) plus the shorter 250 for heavy poppers up to 180/190g.

What do you guys reckon?

By the way... would you get a reel for each rod? Not much point switching around reels when you need one rod or the other right? I'd go with a Stella 18000 on the 250. Same on the other rod or a smaller size?

Best regards and have a nice week everyone
Ruben

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 07, 2015, 02:32:10 AM
Thinking of investing in a pair of Saltywater Tackle "Racepoint" 200 & 250 rods... The 200 for medium sized poppers and stick baits due to softer tip and the extra length (think it's 8,2" if I'm not mistaken) plus the shorter 250 for heavy poppers up to 180/190g.

What do you guys reckon?

By the way... would you get a reel for each rod? Not much point switching around reels when you need one rod or the other right? I'd go with a Stella 18000 on the 250. Same on the other rod or a smaller size?

Best regards and have a nice week everyone
Ruben

The 200 and 250 are both great rods I personally own a 200 and have fished with the 250 extensively  They are heavier than the high end Japanese rods but the build quality and amount of abuse they can handle is second to none. they are both good for 18K's but they 200 would be fun with a 14k if you want a bit of variety. 

Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2015, 05:54:47 PM
How about the Temple Reef Ronin 80 as an alternative to the Racepoint 200 for stick bait work?
Cheers
Ruzben

Hamad Alroumi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 08, 2015, 03:58:13 PM
I have the temple reef ronin PE 6-8 .. I really like how light it is
And it cast up to 180 g

Mayur Panday

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 10, 2015, 02:07:07 AM
Good to see you going great gunz in the right direction Ruben! !! See you soon buddy!

Good luck on getting new equipment!!! Just a friendly advice, hide the credit card bill from your girlfriend!!!! ;D ;D

Cheers

Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 10, 2015, 07:42:36 AM
whoop whoop look who's here - Mr Napoleon-slayer himself ;-)

Looking 4ward to seeing you soon my friend!