Extreme Jigging: Dogtooth Tuna, Yellowtail Kingfish (Hiramasa), Amberjack, Samson Fish > Tackle & Techniques

PE 8-10 Jigging Rod

(1/4) > >>

Mayur Panday:
Need help from all the jigging gurus out there. I am unable to decide on which PE 8/10 rod to get, to go with Stella 20000. Target fish are monster Doggies which I am unable to stop/land on my OBX300/ Smith AMJ54, Stella 10K with PE6 line. I have been looking at:
1. Smith Nirai 55
2. OBX 500
3. Temple Reef X12
4. Carpenter KLL50
5. Jigging Master Fallings Special or Three Kings
6. Others

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Trevor Skinner:
Mayur,

I found the OBX 500 to be a beast of a rod but not particularly flexible.

The OBX 400 is an absolute cracker though, tolerant to jigs down to 180/200g and plenty strong enough. I've got mine paired to an SW20000 and PE8

Regards,

Trev   

Amr Kehila:
Sami landed plenty of big Dogtooth on the OBX-300 in PNG; perhaps a step up to the OBX-400 would suit but i cant imagine more power being needed (OBX-500)...

Mayur Panday:
Thanks Trevor & Amr,
Yes, I know Sami has landed bunch of doggies on OBX300, but then he is Sami!!!!  ;D
Let me elaborate on why the OBX300 runs out of juice where I fish...all the fish hang around at the drop off which is about 90-100m deep. In deeper waters I don't get hits. The boats I am on are huge but atrociously slow! (6-7knots)...all the fish are hooked at around 50-60m depth where the bottom is at 100m. I am able to land small fish but big ones reach the bottom even before I can say hallelujah!!!!

Saltywater Tackle:

--- Quote from: Mayur Panday on April 28, 2015, 12:06:36 AM ---Thanks Trevor & Amr,
Yes, I know Sami has landed bunch of doggies on OBX300, but then he is Sami!!!!  ;D
Let me elaborate on why the OBX300 runs out of juice where I fish...all the fish hang around at the drop off which is about 90-100m deep. In deeper waters I don't get hits. The boats I am on are huge but atrociously slow! (6-7knots)...all the fish are hooked at around 50-60m depth where the bottom is at 100m. I am able to land small fish but big ones reach the bottom even before I can say hallelujah!!!!

--- End quote ---

Hi Mayur,
Even a broomstick is not going to stop the initial run of a big dogtooth tuna, you have to bite on it as this is the way those fish fight,
beside a good rod you need a lot of luck :)

Tight lines
    Sami

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version