Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ripple fisher f-stick gt79r or Ultimo 79h
April 11, 2015, 06:20:05 AM
Can the guys who use these rods or have used these rods please advise me on them. I'm after the rod that suites these size lures best, if even by a small margin.
I have read Brandon's guide to rods and these rods sound similar so after some personal opinions.
The lures I have been collecting are floating Stickbaits in the 150g rigged range ( fcllabo csp220, seven seas ect ) and poppers in the 120-150 rigged range ( halco roosters, fcllabo ebipop 120, zest & heru 120 ect ).
The reel is a sw10000 with a 16000 spool pe8.
Also there is a very high chance I'll be getting one of the newer versions of these ( f-stick gt80 nano & Ultimo 710h nano) but I thought I'd ask about the former rods first as they have been in service a long time and on paper don't look too much different.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:40:14 PM by Dan Colebrook

Rob Paterson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Ripple fisher f-stick gt79r or Ultimo 79h
April 12, 2015, 03:14:58 PM
Hi Dan.
 Have been using the Ultimo 82 MH recently with a very similar setup ,Stella 10k / SOM 16k spool and JB 80 hollow. Main lures have been Siren 250 and Heru Ulua 150 which end up about 170g rigged , and it has performed flawlessly so far on fish to 35 kg on some reasonably shallow reefs, with some power in reserve. The 7'9 should have even more, but have yet to attach to a monster to really test it.
I changed from a carpenter TBL 80/40 to the lighter outfit and personally seem to get a better action out of stickbaits with the Ultimo.
For the lure range and setup you mention the 7'9 should fit the bill perfectly for stickbaits, haven't thrown any poppers with it but as a pure stick rod I can't fault it.

Hope this helps .

Cheers Rob

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Ripple fisher f-stick gt79r or Ultimo 79h
April 12, 2015, 05:38:35 PM
Thanks Rob, every bit of info helps a lot!
I was considering the tbl80/40 for a while but want to give ripple fisher a go.
I guess if the f-stick gt79r or gt80 nano don't do a very good job at working surface stickbaits on or over 150g rigged then the Ultimo 710h nano will get the nod!
As per Brandon's writeup the Ultimo 79h should work the poppers I have.
Once again, thanks.
Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:52:42 AM by Dan Colebrook

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Per Richard Foong, the Ultimo 79H works the SS 120gm chuggers well and very loud!  Plus it's a fine stickbait rod!

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for that Dan, ( and Richard )

Joel Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Dan,

The Ripple reversal 79 is a wonderful rod, working chuggers 120-150grams easily den some other premium rods and easily work 120gram stickbaits, if you know how to (ie 120 gamma ) ...

Read this in the brochure, 'although its rated up to pe10 , it has a dual action blank, first part bends under 7kg drag , and after uses the strong butt'

So its easier on a not so strong angler (like me) ....and its a very light, balance and far casting rod.

Hope you hv fun regardless of wat rod u buy in the end ! :)

Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:19:11 PM by Joel Leong

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for that info Joel  :)