Sam Legends

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In line hooks
May 11, 2015, 03:02:17 PM
Well this is my first post on this site, I'm a San Diego fisherman and recently found some vmc in-line hooks that the tackle shop said are good for popping. Anyone heard of or used these types of hooks? Thanks. I'll try to get a picture up soon of the hooks.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Re: In line hooks
May 11, 2015, 07:54:34 PM
Welcome Sam,

Inline hooks have been much debated on this site, and in GT circles... some love them, some hate them...

I have personally  had good ( but limited ) experiences with them in heavy tackle applications ( GT etc ) but really enjoy them for lighter tackle situations...

I have however not had great experiences with the VMC's in the smaller sizes ( 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 ) ... I snapped 3 of them in one session in Oman.... these were perhaps a bad batch as I've not heard much else bad about them, but they certainly turned me off the brand for now...

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Lorenz Seebauer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 11, 2015, 11:42:49 PM
Hi

...and what about the Owner S-125?
They seem to be rather new, too.

Sizes (length and gap in mm)
http://www.wellsystackle.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1775

picture of the 9/0 (which seems to have a similar size as the decoy JS-1 in 8/0, according to the link above).
http://www.elitetackle.com.au/productimage.php?product_id=445
Best regards Lorenz

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
May 12, 2015, 11:14:47 AM
VMC are owned by Rapala so the hooks should be OK but I would always buy from a dedicated hook manufacturer (Rapala are famous for their lures really) Owner, Mustad, Gamakatsu, Decoy are the four that I use. Owner seem to be the go in Aus, Mustad in Europe and Gamakatsu & Decoy in Asia?

The Owner S-125's are great but are made of their Taff wire so they are very lightweight (more like aluminium) and I'm not sure how you would balance them on say a Gamma but there are plenty of other lures that would take them without upsetting the action too much.

They only way to do it would be to match them by weighing them.

Cheers AG