Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader material for twisted leaders
June 11, 2007, 10:44:27 PM
Paul - I assume you mean "Brandon"? You must have a Nomad charter on your mind!

A couple of things - I don't recommend you use a solid ring in the bite especially if it is an Owner. I am concerned that the sharp edges of the Owner solid ring will wear through the mono. Most of us use a swivel which we attach to a popper or stickbait with a split ring. You will find the majority of experienced GT fishos won't use clips and prefer the surety of a split ring.

Assuming you are winding the mono back some 12 inches, I'm not sure how you will finish it with a uni. I'd suggest you actually finish it with some braid using a nail knot with the braid. You can then add a touch of super glue to the braid to finish it off. Check out Luke's guide on this website on how to make twisted leaders. I don't think you need to wind it back 12 inches - I only do some six inches myself.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 08:43:59 AM
 Paul, I think you misread how Luke sometimes ties straight to a swivel with a uni knot, not after winding back.

Brandon, with the 10X leader being extra abrasive resistant, would it be advantages to come down in size?

PS: How was Noosa?, if it was last weekend you most probably flew out over top of me casting lures around Old Woman Island by Maroochy airport, I hoped you waved! ::) ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 11:35:30 AM
I had nothing to do this weekend in Noosa (family get together) so I made up a few twisted leaders using the Penn 10X. I think I will put this into the the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" bucket. The material is so stiff that it just doesn't feel right. I will still finish these and test them out at Bugatti but they just don't feel nice to me.

Yes, they are stiffer but they make a good cost effective alternative. I have already tried them and they work fine - there really isn't much of an issue if you are using them for standard popping, just make sure the finish is perfect becuase the stiffness can cuase issues with getting your nail knots to bite etc. - still a bit of an issue that is inherent with making them out of fluorocarbon which i don't hear anybody complaining about? obviously, fluorocarbon is unncessary but people still make them out of the material - stickbaits and monster fish, that is another story where you would want to use softer, more supple leader and better quality respectively.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 11:40:07 AM
Damon,

I am using 100lb Momoi and I am having trouble with finishing the knot off once ihave come back on the bite.
I am placing a solid ring in the bite and running back up about 12 inches, I was told to use a uni knot but it has got me stuffed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Paul

Paul,

Check out the Twisted Leaders section (and other resources) on this page.

Greg & Brandon are abosolutely correct with everything they have mentioned in reponse to your questions.

If you have further troubles, let me know and it would be my pleasure to helping you out.

I will also be selling my own professional made twisted leaders soon on the website - keep your eye out.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 12:35:34 PM
I'm going to superglue the knot I use with the braid to close it off!! I'm sure it should be fine but i just don't like the really stiff, hard feeling of it. I reckon it is going to be really loud going through the guides

I had nothing to do this weekend in Noosa (family get together) so I made up a few twisted leaders using the Penn 10X. I think I will put this into the the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" bucket. The material is so stiff that it just doesn't feel right. I will still finish these and test them out at Bugatti but they just don't feel nice to me.

Yes, they are stiffer but they make a good cost effective alternative. I have already tried them and they work fine - there really isn't much of an issue if you are using them for standard popping, just make sure the finish is perfect becuase the stiffness can cuase issues with getting your nail knots to bite etc. - still a bit of an issue that is inherent with making them out of fluorocarbon which i don't hear anybody complaining about? obviously, fluorocarbon is unncessary but people still make them out of the material - stickbaits and monster fish, that is another story where you would want to use softer, more supple leader and better quality respectively.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 12:46:01 PM
I'm going to superglue the knot I use with the braid to close it off!! I'm sure it should be fine but i just don't like the really stiff, hard feeling of it. I reckon it is going to be really loud going through the guides

Ture, but it's all a trade-off. Still works and that's what matters ;)

Neil Griffiths

June 12, 2007, 02:26:49 PM
Damon,

I am using 100lb Momoi and I am having trouble with finishing the knot off once ihave come back on the bite.
I am placing a solid ring in the bite and running back up about 12 inches, I was told to use a uni knot but it has got me stuffed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul, when I showed you the finish I called it a uni, well it's really a rizzuto. They are pretty simillar.
As long as the doubled back bite section remains out of the rod tip, I never bother to whip or such like as a rizzuto is just stronger and quicker to tie.

Neil

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 02:44:20 PM
Hi Paul, when I showed you the finish I called it a uni, well it's really a rizzuto. They are pretty simillar.
As long as the doubled back bite section remains out of the rod tip, I never bother to whip or such like as a rizzuto is just stronger and quicker to tie.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Could you describe this in more detail because i simply am not following you.

Thanks.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 05:07:34 PM
I'm interested too, Neil. You are suggesting that we finish off the doubled section with a rizutto? I haven't tried to tie a Rizutto with two strands from the twisted leader before. I'll try it and see how it looks.

Neil Griffiths

June 12, 2007, 05:56:21 PM
The first thing to do when tying GT knots is to have a rock solid fixed point so swivels and loops can be fitted over and pulled on HARD, try a cup hook screwed into somthing solid.

Ok here goes, after twisting back the twisty onto itself you should have a magically neat and cool looking 4 strand leader, might as well put a swivel into this section before starting the back twist. On finishing the doubled section, hook the swivel onto your fixed point, then loop the tag end back and around 4 strand line as you would if you were tying a uni knot, take tag through loop 3 times(tag is being taken through loop back toward the rod end of leader-just imagine a uni) then gently close the knot teasing the knot back up toward the swivel to ensure that the formed knot remains on the 4 strand section. Once the knot is mostly closed, take a couple of wraps of standing line in one hand and the tag in pliers and pull knot closed (lube of course) using equal pressure in both hands, this is pretty important as sustantially uneven forces in either hand can ruin the knot.
Long winded to explain but quick and easy to tie.

Neil

Paul Taylor

June 12, 2007, 06:53:04 PM
Brandon,
Sorry about that it must have been past my bedtime.

Neil,
I will drop around and get you to show me as I have not mastered as yet.

Regards Paul

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 08:20:45 PM
Brandon, maybe these [X10] are the leaders to crimp your bite leaders on!  :-\
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 12, 2007, 09:09:07 PM
Tried a 3m 10X 100lb Twisty crimped to a 80cm Momoi XL 150lb Bite leader combo, haven't been able to break any by hand but will give them a mechanical test on the weekend. ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 13, 2007, 08:47:00 AM
I think sometimes we need a video library of these knots and rigs...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 13, 2007, 10:48:16 AM
I think sometimes we need a video library of these knots and rigs...

Hi mate,

Have been thinking of doing this...what knots in particular would be useful?