Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First popping rod
May 31, 2015, 09:36:13 PM
I have now ordered a Ripple Fisher GT80 Reversal Nano and a Jigging Master 16000 spool plus a lot of other popping- and jigginggear. Thanks to all of you for the good advice. I think this rod will suit me well.

Good choice.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 01, 2015, 10:34:34 AM
I have now ordered a Ripple Fisher GT80 Reversal Nano.......

Has anyone used one of these yet?

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
June 01, 2015, 09:46:48 PM
I have now ordered a Ripple Fisher GT80 Reversal Nano.......

Has anyone used one of these yet?

I have bent it but havent cast it. I used to own the GT79R. This is lighter and a very, very similar action not sure if it has the same guide problems as the 711 though

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 02, 2015, 07:06:09 AM
How about the JM 16000 spool. Has anyone had problems with it?

My local sport fishing tackle store owner told me not to go near them because the overall quality of them has gone down hill lately. Can anyone verify his claims? He didn't state individual issues but more that on a whole, it's not comparable to SOM anymore.

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 02, 2015, 10:52:27 AM
What's the guide problem on the 711?

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2015, 12:53:32 PM
Dan,

There has been some discussion regarding the number and placement of the guides.

Evidently the stripping guide is quite a long way up the blank since the rod only uses 6 guides rather than the more usual 7 causing the line to slap against the blank on the cast. 

I've not actually seen or used one to be able to confirm this though and some users have reported that it's not a problem.

Regards,

Trev   

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2015, 08:09:20 PM
I can confirm it Trevor. On the 711 Nano the stripper guide is way, way too far from the reel line roller and this causes line to slap hard on the blank every cast and numerous wraps around the stripper.  Maybe some people do not mind that but I certainly do...... you lose distance and so many casts are a complete waste of energy as the line wraps on the stripper guide.

It is incredibly disappointing to pay a lot money for a rod from a rod maker who should know what they are doing and then have to re-build it.

I do not know if the 80R Nano suffers from the same fault.

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2015, 01:44:34 AM
One of the european Ripple Fisher dealers will get in a shipment of rods about two weeks from now. I have reserved one GT80 Reversal Nano rod, it has not been sent to me. I've just sent a mail to them and asked if they know if the GT80 Nano has the same problem as the 711 Nano. After looking at pictures of the GT79 Reversal it seems to me that this rod also has 6 guides, is it the same problem with this rod? Do you know if Ripple Fisher still produce the GT79 Reversal rod? Maybe this could be a better rod for me than the GT80 Nano. If any of you have tested the GT80 Nano rod it would be great to get some feedback if it got the same problem as the 711 Nano or not. I don't want to use a lot of money an a rod that has a problem from the beginning. 
Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:07:10 AM by Bent Inge Bentsen

Michael Adolfsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2015, 02:13:50 AM
my Big Bertie, Ultimo 79h and Carp. SP 80 all have 6 guides and i never had issues with the stripper guide
So perhaps the stripper guide is just placed to long from the reel

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2015, 03:52:21 AM
I got an answer from the Ripple Fisher dealer, he got one GT80 Nano rod himself and have not had any problems on the guides. According to him it's an awesome rod.

Joel Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 04, 2015, 12:54:45 AM

Hi all,

Not a reversal , but

A friend of mine have a Ultimo Nano 710h , casting frequently with no issues .
Pairing with a dogfight 8000h , pe10 smp.

Cheers !

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 04, 2015, 11:43:27 AM
I have 3 Ripple Fisher rods, and they all have 6 guides, to include the "older" GT79R (2012-13 model), Ultimo79H, and the new GT 80X Nano.  I haven't used the Nano, but have no problems with the others.  I too wonder if the stripping guide is just "too far" away from the reel seat?  Also, is there a difference between using a Stella vs. Saltiga, since line leaves the spools of each at a different angle?  Of course, reel choice shouldn't matter, just wondering.....

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 16, 2015, 10:56:48 AM
I have 3 Ripple Fisher rods, and they all have 6 guides, to include the "older" GT79R (2012-13 model), Ultimo79H, and the new GT 80X Nano.  I haven't used the Nano, but have no problems with the others.  I too wonder if the stripping guide is just "too far" away from the reel seat?  Also, is there a difference between using a Stella vs. Saltiga, since line leaves the spools of each at a different angle?  Of course, reel choice shouldn't matter, just wondering.....

Obviously, much depends on the length of the rod Dan.

You bring up a good point regarding reels. This is most relevant after Shimano changed the angle of the reel stem on the Stella SWB.  I thought that might be the reason why the line slaps on the blank on the 711 Powerfight nano when using a Saltiga Expedition or a 2009 Stella (the Expedition is the worst in this respect as the line roller is furthest from the stripper guide).  But having fitted a friend's SWB 18000 to the rod, the problem does not go away.

Quite simply, and IMHO and that of every other angler and rod builder I have spoken to about this, the stripper guide is way too far up the rod.