Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First popping rod
July 25, 2015, 03:48:39 AM
My "older" Ultimo 79H and new GT 80X Nano have nearly identical placement of the stripping guide from the reel seat; they might differ by a few millimeters. 
Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:23:54 AM by Dan Hanon

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 07, 2015, 03:39:19 AM
I have tested the GT80 Reversal Nano rod and have not experienced that the line slap on the blank or wrap around the stripping guide. I've used a Shimano Stella SWB 10000 reel with it. Ripple Fisher recommends lures from 100-150g and it seems to me to be correct. I've tried poppers from 80 to 175g. I've attached a picture of the fishing equipment I will bring to the Andaman, feel free to comment. Loooking forward to test the rod on fish :)

Glenn Waddle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 29, 2015, 09:41:52 AM
Hi Mark
I believe from what u wrote it seems that you are experiencing the line slapping issue as a first person. That indeed is disappointing with a top dollar stick. I was gunning for this rod too. Now this has made me more cautious.
Cheers

VadimNazarov

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 07, 2023, 03:33:04 AM
 I try to choose between 2 rods :  Ultimo 710H UG710H Swim Nano and UCB78EXT-H for Poppers 130-170gr. Want to pair it with 14000 Saltiga for Oman trip. As I understand, FCL rod is more universal than RF ? Line pe8. Which rod is more suitable?

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 07, 2023, 04:41:27 AM
I never had the line slapping issues discussed, and I watched my line during the casts.  I went to Oman for my first time last month.  For me, the FCL Labo UCB 81-H was a great "big" swimbait rod.  Casts great and handled the Bigfoot 220 well.  For poppers in the 150-160gm range, i used an FCL Labo UCB 711-H, and it worked great.  Used mostly Amegari Dzanga 230 50cup. 

VadimNazarov

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 07, 2023, 05:12:09 AM
 Thank you for your expert opinion, I was thinking about fcl 81 ext MH, but understood that it has the softer tip than H model, which should be better for poppers,I assumed that this rule also works for a shorter model.... UCB 78 extreme H, but from google I found that 78EXT H is the stickbait model and at the same moment I found this rod: 81 EXT MH -POP with description that this should work good with poppers., most likely it's just a different model than 81 EXT MH ?

VadimNazarov

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 07, 2023, 05:20:22 AM
I never had the line slapping issues discussed, and I watched my line during the casts.  I went to Oman for my first time last month.  For me, the FCL Labo UCB 81-H was a great "big" swimbait rod.  Casts great and handled the Bigfoot 220 well.  For poppers in the 150-160gm range, i used an FCL Labo UCB 711-H, and it worked great.  Used mostly Amegari Dzanga 230 50cup.

Do you probably mean FCL 710H which has 300gr test ? Or RF Gt711 ?

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 07, 2023, 07:54:27 AM
Vadim,
From what I've heard, The FCL UCB 81-MH is a very good PE8 rod geared more for stickbaits, but should be fine for "smaller" poppers around 125gm, maybe larger.  I might actually get one since all my current rods are PE10.  If you want an "all-rounder" PE10 rod, the heavier tip of the UCB 81-H is an excellent choice.  It worked 150-160gm poppers no problem.  I think its an excellent rod for S. Oman fish. 

Yes, in my previous post I erroneously called the UCB 710-H a "UCB 711-H".  I've heard good things about the Ripple Fisher 711 Powerfight too! 

You may know that the Yamaga Blanks company makes the Ripple Fisher brand, and FCL Labo uses the Yamaga blanks.  In my opinion, Ripple Fisher and FCL rods are neck and neck in build quality and components.

VadimNazarov

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 07, 2023, 05:44:13 PM
Vadim,
From what I've heard, The FCL UCB 81-MH is a very good PE8 rod geared more for stickbaits, but should be fine for "smaller" poppers around 125gm, maybe larger.  I might actually get one since all my current rods are PE10.  If you want an "all-rounder" PE10 rod, the heavier tip of the UCB 81-H is an excellent choice.  It worked 150-160gm poppers no problem.  I think its an excellent rod for S. Oman fish. 

Yes, in my previous post I erroneously called the UCB 710-H a "UCB 711-H".  I've heard good things about the Ripple Fisher 711 Powerfight too! 

You may know that the Yamaga Blanks company makes the Ripple Fisher brand, and FCL Labo uses the Yamaga blanks.  In my opinion, Ripple Fisher and FCL rods are neck and neck in build quality and components.
   Thank you, Ill probably stick with 710-H for poppers in Oman but I still want to understand the difference between UCB-81 Extreme MH Pop and just UCB-81 EXTREME MH.

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 08, 2023, 12:28:30 AM
Vadim,

The specs and rating of the two rods are very similar, but their tapers are somewhat different.  You can contact Duncan O'Connell at Fishead for specifics.  I would venture to say there's a lot of overlap in their function, i.e. you could use either one for stickbaits or poppers of the appropriate sizes.  I believe the mid-section of the 81-MH Pop is a bit stiffer than the 81-MH stickbait model.

Lorenz Seebauer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 08, 2023, 06:58:37 AM
Hi,
I try to choose between 2 rods :  Ultimo 710H UG710H Swim Nano and UCB78EXT-H for Poppers 130-170gr. Want to pair it with 14000 Saltiga for Oman trip.
Why is it called "...swim..."?
Is it a stickbait/swimbait/... version? Ripplefisher has a table with suitable cup sizes of poppers for their (popping) rods, which might be helpful.

I think for (yellowfin)tuna they fish poppers there. For GTs it's poppers and stickbaits.
Best regards Lorenz

VadimNazarov

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 09, 2023, 12:41:05 AM
Hi,
I try to choose between 2 rods :  Ultimo 710H UG710H Swim Nano and UCB78EXT-H for Poppers 130-170gr. Want to pair it with 14000 Saltiga for Oman trip.
Why is it called "...swim..."?
Is it a stickbait/swimbait/... version? Ripplefisher has a table with suitable cup sizes of poppers for their (popping) rods, which might be helpful.

I think for (yellowfin)tuna they fish poppers there. For GTs it's poppers and stickbaits.
FCL Labo 710 should be the ultimate Popping rod(pe10 line and up to 300gr test). Ripplefisher 711 is the different rod, I don't know if they use same blanks.