Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
nylon or fluoro leader for jigging?
June 02, 2015, 03:33:14 AM
Hi guys,
just got my Stella 10k for jigging worked and spooled it with a Daiwa PE6/85lb line. Was wondering what leader I should use... fluoro or just bog standard nylon leader? Any recommendations on brands etc will be much appreciated.
Regards, Ruben

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: nylon or fluoro leader for jigging?
June 02, 2015, 08:48:21 AM
What fish species will you be more going after Ruben ?. Would you be jigging in say 50 - 100 mtrs deep with your 10000 stella ?. What jig weights will you be more inclined to use....maybe say 200g to 350g ?.

With the above mentioned and I have maybe scoped it nearly right right your application...leader size would suit is 60 - 80lb and really strong quality nylon is fine. Probably any reputable brands like say fisherman, varivas, daiwa etc.

Tie the leader with a good PR knot...and your and away  :).

Tight Lines !.

Regards

Leo

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2015, 12:28:30 PM
Ruben,

Either. I use Fluro, but just make sure that the brand of fluro you use is not too 'hard'. Friction knots (PR,FG,Mid) rely on the braid biting into the surface of the leader for their integrity and the harder the surface of the fluro the more difficult it is to secure the knot properly.

Regards,

Trevor   
Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:38:23 PM by Trevor Skinner

Ruben Frank

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 02, 2015, 05:50:49 PM
I'm looking at jigging up to a max depth of around 100 mts, with jigs mainly in the 180-280g range.
Species will include amberjacks in Omani waters but also Doggies etc in more tropical destinations.
Is the Fisherman Stealth leader material too soft?

Cheers,
Ruben

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 06, 2015, 11:00:22 PM
I'm looking at jigging up to a max depth of around 100 mts, with jigs mainly in the 180-280g range.
Species will include amberjacks in Omani waters but also Doggies etc in more tropical destinations.
Is the Fisherman Stealth leader material too soft?

Cheers,
Ruben

How did you go on the jigging front Ruben?
I fished 80lb mono (YGK Gallis Absorber) on PE3-4 tackle and got busted once by a decent AJ maybe 10kg or so, rest all bite offs by those stinky Barracuda...
I suppose for your PE6 setup something like 100lb FC would have been most suitable? And when you're going for doggies I guess you'll go heavier than 100lb leader to prevent bit offs?

Just interested, as most my jigging was shore jigging for Kings, went less than 10 times out of a boat, but will fish Andamans (Doggies, etc.) in May.

Cheers,
Felix

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 09, 2015, 01:22:24 PM
I have always used mono.