Daniel Latif

Jigs for Yellowfin Tuna
July 06, 2008, 08:59:40 PM
Gday guys, as some may know most of my fishing is made up of gamefishing for the likes of marlin and tuna off Sydney. I wanted to try and target Yellowfin Tuna in the trail using some various jigs.  I am sure that if there are fish in the trail there is no reason why they wont have a go at a jig, and its definately worth a go when the fish are finnicky or the bite is slow.  Can anyone help me out in selecting a few jigs that may work on the Yellowfin, theres so many to choose from!
Average size of fish this year has been between 30-40kg. 

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Mark Lewis

Re: Jigs for Yellowfin Tuna
July 08, 2008, 11:43:07 AM
I can't comment on Australian yellowfin, but the YFT in Mexico seem to really like the "sardine" colored Shimano Butterfly jigs.....so much so that they eat the paint off them:

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 08, 2008, 12:29:08 PM
They look a lot like the 'SureCatch' Jigs.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mark Lewis

July 08, 2008, 01:24:31 PM
I have jigs from about five different makers that look to have come from the same origins.  To assume that it's a coincidence they are all so similar is a bit of a stretch  ::)  (and yes, SureCatch is one of the five).

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 11, 2008, 05:49:56 PM
Hi Mark
agree that the butterfly jigs work just a pity they dont put a more durable clear coat on them ,caught 3 yellowtail on one and looked the same as yours did .
cheers mark

Mark Lewis

July 12, 2008, 03:17:33 AM
The week after I took that photo of the jig, I flew off to Puerto Vallarta (mainland Mexico) in search of outsized YFT.  While the paint certainly falls off the Shimano jigs quickly, they actually seem to work better once they are a bit messed up!  It's almost to the point where I feel like roughing up the jigs before using them now.  I leave day after tomorrow for Mexico again and have only brand new jigs (that one sadly got caught on the bottom on my last trip).  If the new jigs don't do well in the first hour, I'm taking a file to the paint on them  ;D ;D

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 02, 2008, 05:44:46 AM
hI mARK
HOW DID THE TRIP GO CATCH ANY OF THOSE 300LB YELLOWFIN YET ??????????????????? this year will get my 100kg yellow on jig or at least a very big bigeye [120kg plus] so far only smashed up still trying to figure out how to stop the bugger when he grabs you 80m under boat .post some pics of your PV yellows, too far for me in south africa.
cheers mark