Adam Randall

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Popping and jigging outfit advice
June 28, 2015, 03:01:11 AM
Hey Guys

I've booked my first GT popping / jigging trip, heading to Kirinda in Sri Lanka next February and now need to get some gear together.

Need a Popping outfit.
Rod rated to Pe8 - Pe10 line, capable of handling constant 10kg drag pressure, 7'6" - 8'6" and min 80lb class with preferably 100lb being recommend and suitable reel.

jigging Outfit
Rod of 5' - 6'6" long rated for Pe5 -Pe8 line and capable of handling jigs upto 400g 60lb to 80lb class recommended and suitable reel.

I'd love to go all out and purchase 2 Saltiga or Stella reels etc etc and I may well do that I just wondered what people's thoughts were. I've heard a lot of talk on the Daiwa Saltist and Shimano Saragosa reels so any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Popping and jigging outfit advice
June 28, 2015, 03:29:38 AM
Adam,

Brandon's guides that are pinned to the top of this forum, particularly "Guide to Buying a GT Rod' and 'Going on your first GT trip' are pretty much requisite reading for anyone whose looking to start this type of fishing. That should give you all sorts of ideas and help you narrow your choices right down, particularly as it relates to rods.

I like the Saragosa but there's always a compromise. They're not as robust or as smooth as a Stella but will probably get the job done provided you don't run into that BIG fish. If you intend to continue with heavy popping and jigging and plan to use it on multiple trips a Stella is actually pretty good value if your budget can stretch to one, particularly given their resale value.

Regards,

Trev 

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 28, 2015, 10:45:23 AM
There's a ton of advice on this forum, just use the "search" function, and of course, do what Trevor says!  Don't cut corners on your gear; buy top-of-the-line, if you can.  Life is too short, and fishing time too precious to lose a trophy fish on sub-par tackle. 

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 28, 2015, 05:56:32 PM
I have popped a few days in Kirinda, and would not go with a saragosa for popping. Some of the spots are pretty ardcore and is for hook and hold fishing
Greetings
Simon

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 28, 2015, 08:54:23 PM
Hi Adam,

I fished Kirinda last year and will be back again in November 2015,
there is some big fish around and I believe the Saragosa or the Saltist are not the recommended reels for that terrain and location targeting 50kg GT's.
as for rods you have many options to choose from and you can save some money by choosing rod in the range of $500 to $600 but I would not use those reels as an alternative, 
Also get in touch with Darran and see what he can recommend you in terms of rods and reels.
good luck on your coming trip.

Tight lines
    Sami

Adam Randall

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 28, 2015, 09:41:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.. I'm going to go with the saltiga 6500 reels.. Just need to work out what rods to pair them with now and then there's the small minefield of what lures, poppers / stick baits / jigs to take!!!