Ben Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Ripping out guides casting
July 12, 2015, 01:05:23 AM
Hey crew

This is my first post after creeping on this site for a few months now. I have a question about Temple Reef rods and ripping guides out through casting I understand it is common with Gt fishing and probably only have myself to blame for I use 150lb twisted leaders. I realize the twisted leaders are on the way out and FGs and PR knots are where it's at I've just been a bit lazy in perfecting them just yet as this whole game is quite new to me. I love my Temple Reef rod don't get me wrong but i have had every original guide rip out now and have had to be replaced and reinforced by a local rod builder. Only ask this question for I have never had an issue with my first ever popping rod which was half the price although it has nowhere near the power or casting ability it just has never ripped a guide using the same gear. As I said I love the rod just curious if it's common or my own fault.

Cheers Ben

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ripping out guides casting
July 12, 2015, 11:29:23 AM
Hey Ben,

Is it just the twisted leader going through the guides?

And if so is it just the doubled line?

How long are your twisted leaders mate?

A suggestion if this has been a problem is to have your twisted leaders shortened so they are not going to travel through all your guides on casting. I know this is a argued issue but a shortened double will mean less work on the guides. Potentially there is more risk of rub off but it's all a balancing act.

I use twisted double leaders a lot and have not encountered this problem however I don't get a chance to fish for GT's as much as the other guys on here so they may be better positioned to comment.

I hate seeing gear damaged or wrecked so hope you find a solution.

I recently added a a Temple Reef Stealth series rod to my collection and fished twisted leaders to 100 pound no problems. Really like the rod and will definitely consider temple reef for future purchases.

Cheers,

Lucas.

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 12, 2015, 12:24:07 PM
In my experience it's not so much the brand, I've had many guides rip out during casting and I use single mono leaders mostly from 130 to 200lb. The length could be a factor as I have long leaders, long leaders have saved me more than once when fishing shallow reef country.
No names mentioned but I have found some popular rod manufacturers bindings and resin finish minimal to say the least.
Once I have a guide rip out I now have the whole rod rebound with double binding and increased resin around the guide feet, especially on the inside (between the 2 feet of the guide). Seems to fix the issue and not affect the rods casting performance.
Pays to inspect the guide closely on a regular basis as when a guide rips out on a good hook up it ends in disaster. As soon as I see substantial cracking of the resin then a rebuild is in order.

Cheers,

Jason

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 12, 2015, 04:03:54 PM
if anything PR an FG are more prone to wrapping guides than twisted leaders. due to GT rods becoming more and more parabolic the manufacturers shave down the feet of the guides to accommodate the bend in the rod so there is very little left to bind to the blank. You could quadruple wrap the binding but it won't serve much purpose besides adding weight. As the line wraps the guide during a big cast it bends the eye flat and pulls the foot from the binding, I've yet to see the actually binding thread pop a lot of the time you can bend everything more or less back into place pop the foot  back into place and continue with your fishing trip.

the only foolproof way to avoid all the drama is to fish with you leader knot outside of your guides.

Ben Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 12, 2015, 04:43:57 PM
Cheers for the reply Lucas. The leaders are quite long mate and do run through the guide there about 1.7m long and attached via bimini to a cats paw. So with that set up is probably my own fault and as I said love the rod was just interested if anyone else had an issue with the same problem.

And Jason I need some more learning about this game mate as you know so hopefully catch you up soon so I can pick your brain some more buddy.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Cheers Ben

Ben Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 12, 2015, 04:58:08 PM
Thanks also Cameron I will definintly take this info on board for it's been doin my head in. Because it's never happens last cast of the day it's always been the fist couple.

Cheers Ben

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 12, 2015, 06:25:56 PM
I have fished both twisted leaders and friction knots like the FG and PR for some fifteen years now. In my experience, I have seen far more guides get ripped out by twisted leaders than friction knots, all other things being equal (like length of the leader). I have gone to the FG knots in the past five years or so but that is only because I am too lazy to make twisted leaders.

One of the main contributors to catching on guides with the twisted leader is the size of the bimimi double loop. If you want to use twisted leaders, learn to tie the bimimi double as short as you can. With practice, you'll get the bimimi double around four to five inches long and you will find a significant reduction in the percentage that get caught.

I'd also make the point that good casting technique will also contribute significantly to a reduction in wind knots.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Lee

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 12, 2015, 07:16:37 PM
I reckon you may have hit the nail on the head Brandon for I'm pretty confident it was maybe the double that pulled this one out. I've always kept them nice and short barra fishin so from now on I will do the same for the GT. Thank you

Cheers Ben