Aaron Strid

Uni knot breakages
August 05, 2008, 02:44:05 PM
I am currently using YGK 130lb shock leader tied to a 1/0 (212kg) swivel by a uni knot.  On two ocassions I had had the knot break at the swivel while connected to fish.  The broken leader on both ocassions came back in a half circle.  I noticed on the second ocassion that the leader had flatened out at the point it was connected to the swivel.  The leader material does say it is super soft.  Should I be trying something else or is this a common occurence with some brands?

I run 80lb tuf using a PR knot to the leader attached to 30cm of single strand wire.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uni knot breakages
August 05, 2008, 04:06:30 PM
Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum.
I have not had that sort of experience however i recently read an artical about jigging for 30kg+ yellow tail kingfish in nz and they spoke about using a piece of plastic tube and passing the leader thu it then tying to the swivel/splitring. Using the tube to protect the leader around the swivel/split. I assume this is for a similar problem. You could also try looping the leader thru the swivel twice when tying the uni with the tag going back thru the loop.
Perhaps the leader is too soft and the swivel is cutting thru it??

Hope that helps.

Aaron Strid

August 05, 2008, 05:10:29 PM
I have varivas shock leader on order now.  I am hoping that it fix the problem.  For the mean time I might try tying a palomar knot instead.  It has given faultless performance before and it doubles around the swivel when tied.  Does anybody use or had problem with this connection?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2008, 05:31:41 PM
Aaron, I have had the exact same problem except in my case, I was using Fisherman 130lb shock leader. Travis' suggestion is what I have ben told to do if using soft leader material. The other option is a knot with a double loop like a trilene
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 05, 2008, 08:02:54 PM
Aaron, I have had the exact same problem except in my case, I was using Fisherman 130lb shock leader. Travis' suggestion is what I have ben told to do if using soft leader material. The other option is a knot with a double loop like a trilene

Hey woah there Brandon :o, Travis? Hope you were not referring to my post :D
hahaha

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2008, 08:08:32 PM
whoa, my mistake   :D

Mark Lewis

August 05, 2008, 09:37:16 PM
I used to have this problem when fishing very light line for big fish (yeah, a fly fishing thing... :-\).  Anyhow, a really easy fix is to double your line, then use the same uni-knot as before.  Your breakages should come to a grinding halt if you do that.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2008, 09:40:13 PM
thanks Mark - I never thought of doing that!