Alex Waller

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fly fishing opportunities in Bali...?
September 06, 2015, 11:45:39 AM
Hey guys,

Will be in Bali for a week next month for a holiday with my wife.  Wondered if anyone knows if there is any chance of chasing some GT with a fly rod? Can't find much info on the web about it and Google earth doesn't show many flats etc - maybe some likely water off of Lembongan island.  Any info would be great...cheers

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Fly fishing opportunities in Bali...?
September 06, 2015, 06:45:09 PM
Hey guys,

Will be in Bali for a week next month for a holiday with my wife.  Wondered if anyone knows if there is any chance of chasing some GT with a fly rod? Can't find much info on the web about it and Google earth doesn't show many flats etc - maybe some likely water off of Lembongan island.  Any info would be great...cheers

Rather than answering your PM I will do so here as it might be useful info for someone else in the future.

The simple answer is really no. There are no areas I know of around Bali where you could find GTs on the flats these days, except by fluke.  You correctly picked Lembongan as having a decent area of likely looking flats, but there are no fish left I am afraid.  Anywhere around Bali that is relatively easy to fish has been raped by small commercial and irresponsible rec anglers who just kill everything.

So, that leaves tricky very strong current spots and it is at these where world-class GTs are still caught. But totally unsuitable for fly really. Not sure you could even strip against those currents!  And 99% of the time is it blind casting over shallow rock shelf.  Sight casting opportunities are almost nil.

Sorry not be more positive.

If you do find yourself on Lembongan, let me know beforehand and I will happily stand you a few beers over fishing chat.

Alex Waller

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 06, 2015, 06:51:20 PM
Thanks for the reply bro.
 Such a shame to hear that it has been raped to the point of no fish. Gutting that people have such disregard for the fishery.
  I'll be sure to hit you up for some beersies if it works out though.

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 09, 2015, 01:30:51 AM
As an extra to Marks super response, many of the areas where there actually are some Fish close to the shore, fishing in not allowed within 500 m from the Beach as they protect the reef
Greetings
Simon