Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Top shoting braid
October 11, 2016, 11:23:57 PM
does anyone top shot to replace 150 m off line that might still be good but not sure . And which knot thinking cats paw Bimini connection . This isn't for a big trip ie Oman etc just a couple days in mid qld . I am go g through a tackle crisis it's called 1 teenager in yr 12 final yr and 1 in yr 10 so tackle budget has been restricted at this time . Looking to join jb solid 100lb to jb solid 100 300m on Stella 08 20000 spool
Cheers

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Top shoting braid
October 12, 2016, 02:51:04 AM
The only time i have done this has been with 100lb JB hollow and splicing a new length on.

With solid i would just reverse the braid. If you need to top up the spool slightly put on some backing first.

You should be ok to strip off and replace 150m of braid for a one off trip. You would be pretty unlucky if you hook a GT which takes you down to the knot, very few run that far.
Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:02:42 AM by Chris Dennis

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 14, 2016, 02:28:18 AM
Thanks Chris to be honest I was planning reverse the line  as first choice . Haven't used hollow yet. reversing is a bit off effort . If I was  on a paid trip I would just re spool but for the first time since honey moon we have no kids for a month and heading north . One is going nAfrica the other Germany . To be honest it was a more question on wether I could avoid reversing or get 300 m Pe 8 of varivas Avanti and just top shot the whole 300 m on to the unused line at the back off spool and what connection would ppl trust. Thanks for the reply Chris
And where I'm fishing at December if a GT takes 150 m  I will be Reefed or cut at a bomie. I fish the rocks predominantly lbg fishing but come December . I target the gt's
Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:40:56 AM by Gareth Branicki

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 15, 2016, 02:00:02 PM
Mate bimini to bimini is good to go as long as it's not being cast through the guides.

It obviously effects the lay of line as well as it becomes an obstruction when compared to the single strand braid. Just something to keep in mind.

Cats paw is a solid knot to connect the two doubles.

Enjoy the trip.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 16, 2016, 10:22:30 PM
Thanks for that guys cheers