Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Ripple Fisher Nano Rods
January 06, 2016, 10:18:14 AM
Hi everyone,

There seems to be quite a few questions floating around asking about a few of these new nano rods but no one seems to be able to give a decent account of them.

Has anyone on here managed to put a bend on any of them yet? I'd be interested to here about the 8' reversal which seems like it would be a winner for sub 150g poppers and stickbaits. My main concern is that nano generally refers to a rod that's still strong but loses stiffness? I may just be generalising off of the Cape Cod Special Graphite and Nano. Please tell me I'm wrong with that assessment!

It almost seems like big cup mouthed poppers are starting to be phased out by rod manufacturers? Again, please tell me I'm wrong!

Glenn Waddle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: New Ripple Fisher Nano Rods
January 06, 2016, 03:53:07 PM
Yes. I believe the rest of the community are equally curious how nano series is performing.
any first persons account will be invaluable.

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 02:09:11 AM
I can't speak to the Ripple Fisher line so tune out if that is all your keen on, but...

I have gone through a plethora of gear in the last 3 years while getting into GT fishing and fine tuning what it is that I like. I have had the opportunity to fish with many models and brands over that time as well as trips prior to GT throughout central America and tuna fishing off the east coast of the US for most of my life.

I have switch all casting rods over to nano and shortened them significantly. My heavy popping rod is 6'9" and nano. My stickbait rod is 7'4" and nano. I absolutely love the feel of the rods close to the boat and that is why I have switched. They are very easy on the angler. They can in general be a bit soft when the lure is far from the boat on the hook set though. I am a good caster so the shorter rods do not effect me except for the action on the stickbaits. I obviously cannot fish stickbaits well on the 6'9" but the 7'4" is fine up to 140g or so. I fish that as a PE5-6 rod with a Saltiga5000. I can fish that rod all day with no issue. It performs especially well when the bite is on and you get tired. 

I do not like the nano in the lighter gear especially on parabolic rods as the rod will just bend and bend with little control.

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 02:46:53 AM
May i know what is your popping and stickbait rod?

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 05:24:36 AM
I'm hesitant to say due to the elitist Carpenter attitude of this forum, LOL! (disclaimer: I do own Carpenter rods)

The only nano I have available to me is Black Hole. I have them custom spun in "murdered out" fashion with no logo and no bling. My popping rod is a CowII Special (1pc.) cut to 6'9" from 7'5", all from the butt of the blank. Here are 2 shots of the action of the popping rod. One boatside and one long distance:

My stickbait rod is a Black Hole 7'6"(2 pc.) nano with 2" cut from the butt. Here is a away from the boat, boatside and fish pic. I was not on the rod but taking the pics. That fish is about 40kg amberjack on topwater.

Ideally, I would like a 2pc. nano popping at about 7'. I cut this one a bit too short because of travel rod tubes.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 07:20:26 AM
Very cool, seems like you really did a good job there!
I've got some questions, hope you don't mind if I pm you. Don't want to hijack the thread...

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 07:36:24 AM
Very cool, seems like you really did a good job there!
I've got some questions, hope you don't mind if I pm you. Don't want to hijack the thread...

No worries, PM away or email is better [email protected].

I was hesitant to post since it was not Ripple Fisher related but sometimes some info is better than none. After all, it all comes down to personal opinion.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 08:00:24 AM
Thanks Courtland! Email sent :)

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 08:25:37 AM

I was hesitant to post since it was not Ripple Fisher related but sometimes some info is better than none. After all, it all comes down to personal opinion.
[/quote]

Hijack all you like mate. It's good information on what to expect when purchasing a "nano" rod.

Due to the softer nature, I'm interested to know how they perform with medium/large poppers without having to cut them down?

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 08:57:35 AM

Hijack all you like mate. It's good information on what to expect when purchasing a "nano" rod.

Due to the softer nature, I'm interested to know how they perform with medium/large poppers without having to cut them down?
[/quote]

Again, I find them MUCH easier to fish poppers. I tend to pull the lure out of the water waaaaaaay less. You sort of load the tip as the face of the popper digs in. The rod tends to bend without you knowing that your working. For a popper rod, I am 100% sold on nano.

Stickbaits on the other hand- I can see where you would want the crispness and therefore control of a glass or graphite blank. Not that nano is "dead" but it is soft and may lack the fine adjustments needed for certain baits. I make my own lures and am happy with their action and fish catching ability so my interest lies more in my comfort.

Once I am tight to a fish, I want the rod as short as possible and as comfortable as possible, nano takes a lot of the load off your back.

Leigh Turner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2016, 03:42:34 PM
Thanks for sharing the info. Leigh

Darius Ignatavicius

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 09, 2016, 04:53:19 AM
I own Ripple Fisher F-Stick GT 711 Powerfight Nano, was using it to my trip to Maldives in November as popping rod, was casting whole day long Orion Cono 160gr and Temple Reef Balista Bull 140gr. Rod works great and casts very well. Was paired with Stella 18k. Satisfied with that rod very much. Now will go for heavier one GT 80 XH, for heavy poppers. Before that have tested 5  rods- this one works for me best with poppers (OTI, Shimano Kaibutsu and 2 more I don't remember). For me personally it was no problem to find stickbait rod (Carpenter EP 82/38) but coulndnt work poppers well with another rods, so this one now is great.

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 11, 2016, 08:56:05 AM
Good to know. Cheers Darius.

It would appear that this "nano" will take a few grams off your cast weight or perhaps it's just due to Ripple Fisher increasing the length of most of their rods. The plus side of losing some cast weight/chugging stiffness is a more forgiving rod.

It'd be good to know what sized chuggers the new Final Spirit can bloop.

Matt Jones

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 18, 2016, 09:33:16 PM
I've been using the Nano GT80 for the last 10months as a alternative to my Carpenter MH80 and Ive been pretty happy with it so far. It certainly has its limitations with heavier type poppers (as you'd expect), but I've have found it great on medium poppers & stickbaits.

Andrew Johnson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 01, 2016, 09:50:40 AM
Matt

How do you reckon the GT 80XH Nano would go throwing big stickbaits (eg Orion Big Nambas)?

I have the Nano in the Ultimo 79MH and Aquila 785 and love them!

Cheers

Andrew