Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new BT stickball rod
April 24, 2016, 05:08:00 PM
hi,
i am searching for a +8ft stickbait rod,only for tuna,from a small boat(7,5m)for small lures from range 40 to 100grams and as target to tuna to +-75kgs
i need a longer rod for the distance,so that's why +8ft
i own a carpenter coral viper but that's not the right one...
for this moment i was thinking on next rods
Temple Reef BD150
Racepoint 150
MC Works seven miles,which one...
Carpenter BLC,which one...
Ripple fisher...
and Patriot Design,difficult to find someone that use it,but they look great,grand captured tuna zx or...
open for others of course but it must be a proven rod,strong and light
i gone use a daiwa saltiga 6500H,PE6 or 8,or do i need a 8000...or power gear for the better fit
i hope you can help me out with this,i have a few rods in the corner here that i used only a few times,i don't do that mistake anymore,first asking and then buy:)

tight lines
marc

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: new BT stickball rod
April 24, 2016, 05:10:07 PM
it must be BFT stickbait rod :o

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2016, 12:32:59 PM
Synit Van Dieman X46

I don't know much about the Tuna in question but this seems to match your stats.
Length: 8'4" (253cm) Weight: 405g Cast Weight: 50-120g Line Weight: PE#4-6 Sections: Butt Joint  Packed Length: 184cm  Butt Length: 80cm
or X58 (I own one of these and it's super nice, but much heavier casting range)

Length: 8'2" Weight: 410g Cast Weight: 60-140g Line Weight: PE5-8 Sections: Butt Joint Packed Length: 179cm Butt Length: 80cm

Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:42:14 PM by Damien Rynja

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2016, 01:11:10 PM
Thanks Damien
I hear a lot of good comment from people who own a synit or want one,but never see one..
Who is the dealer,i contact ones synit NZ but that was not easy

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2016, 06:18:58 PM
FishHead here in Australia stock them.

Luckily for me they're only an hour down the road, but I'm sure they ship internationally too..

for reference my X58 is matched to a 14k with 100lb/PE8 Monster battle.

http://fishhead.com.au/synit-van-diemen-x46-black/

X35 has casting specs but sounds like a light rod for 75kg tuna (like I said I don't know much about these tuna (only what I read on here)

http://fishhead.com.au/synit-van-diemen-x35-black-gold/

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 26, 2016, 10:05:08 AM
Much like Damien, I can only offer advice from what I've read on here (live in the tropics and only chase long-tail, mack and the odd yellow-fin to 20kg).

Chasing a 75kg tuna will dictate something with a little more lift than a pe4-6 rod would be able to provide. I've had a tough time with a est 35-40kg yellow-fin on pe5 on a 4-6 rated rod so I can only suggest a 75kg tuna would be really hard work. Not GT levels of lift but you'll still need to get the thing up when it's doing the big circles under the boat. Definitely look for a more pe6-8 rod to give you that extra power (unless you like the light line battle but you'll likely kill the fish due to the extended fight time). Personally I'd prefer to catch 5 fish quickly than catch 1 and lose  track of the school. I can't recommend anything but the Racepoints should definitely be a consideration. Good pricing and well proven. Just don't look at the advertised pictures associated with the rod and think "sweet, I can catch a tuna this big with this rod" because Sami catches crazy sized fish on rods that shouldn't be able to. He has quite the angling prowess over us mere mortals!

As for the reel, I can attest that the 6500 will take a little over 400m of pe6 Varivas Avani Casting MP. Well that's the 2010 Saltiga anyway and I don't think they've really changed much with the 2015 model apart from a new colour scheme and some drag grease. I have no knowledge of whether that is enough line or not enough but just that the reel will hold it.

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 26, 2016, 12:22:25 PM
http://fishhead.com.au/zenaq-fokeeto-fc83-5/
http://fishhead.com.au/zenaq-fokeeto-fc83-4-tuna/
http://fishhead.com.au/zenaq-fokeeto-fc83-7/
http://fishhead.com.au/zenaq-fc80-3-tuna/

These Zenaqs are in - or quite close to - your desired specifications, too. I just happened to notice while I was doing some wish list day dreaming haha

I use a Zenaq Fokeeto 80-10 for GT.
Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:24:25 PM by Damien Rynja

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 26, 2016, 07:43:46 PM
Thanks Damien,Mark
I must maybe contact Sami to find out what's good combination for this kind of tuna and maybe i need a shorter rod when it must be a more powerfull
I will ofcourse release them in good condition,so less fighting time is better
Also patriot design make more powerfull popper Gt rods than there specifikations but i dont know if this is also for there tuna rods,difficult to find something about it
I own stella's 18 and 20000 from 2008 or something,but all my small reels are daiwas and realy love them,that's why i will try out now a 6500 saltiga or 8000 when it' s needed
Sometimes i read that they got problems in the beginning from rust on there magsealed bearings and inside the body...but hopefully it.'s fixed in meantime

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2016, 07:45:08 AM
The general consensus is that the shorter the rod the more powerful it is but this is not always true. While I can't recommend a tuna rod for you, I just want to make it clear to you that you don't have to go out and buy a smaller rod and assume that it's more powerful. Take the Carpenter EP for example. One of the most powerful (and longest) is the custom only model 810/42R which is a pe10 capable rod.

As for the reel, the large Saltigas are still a world class reel and are good value these days. If you're wanting the extra line capacity and want the 8000, there's a an online store here in Oz that has the Expedition for $1,199 which would be better suited for tuna fishing as it has the metal drag knob.

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2016, 07:31:22 PM
Mark can you pm me the store?
I tought the newer model was with the metal dragknob
For the rod,it's not urgent,so i gone take my time to find the one where i am looking for it