Brad Dark

Breakwater Spit GT's
August 20, 2008, 02:53:47 PM
Hi Guys :

New guy here.

I am very interested in getting out to breakwater spit/ shoals and trying my hand at some first time popping action of course the GT's are what im interested in.
We self and wife are having a boat built soon and hope it can be ready by the end of Jan 2009.
We are local to Hervey Bay and have fished Roonies, S/Gutters, 25 fathom ect, but the last boat didnt have the range to get out to the real action.
However the new boat will. ;D

So now its time to gather as much info as possible on the times, tides, months, moons, and especially as much local info as possible on the crossing.
Would anyone be willing to share info on popping these Pit Bulls of the sea.

I have heard stories of lures/poppers just smashed crushed splintered cast after cast after cast.

Cheers: Brad & Sonya

Aaron Concord

Re: Breakwater Spit GT's
August 20, 2008, 09:42:14 PM
Welcome Brad N Sonya.

Best advice is follows:
Go when the tides are the largest ie: new or full moons.
Be ready for rough weather...the GT's don't like it flat calm up there (or most other places!)
Be prepared for a loooong run from Hervey....it's 60NM to the first spot and 75NM to the spit bombie ONE WAY...its big boat territory.
Also, don't fish lighter than 100LB PE....there are massive GT's up there, not all the time though the biggest I have seen hooked was 80+ kg...an absolute donkey! Average fish are 30+ kg in summer. Its big GT territory.
Don't forget that GT's are around the islands & jetty near Urangan as well.

Cheers

Aaron.

Brad Dark

August 21, 2008, 08:16:05 PM
Thanks Aaron:

The boat, when she is ready, will handle it "within reason of course" It will be capable of hitting the shelf also.
I have not been out there b4 roonies was the limit for the last boat. Fuel limit.
So we are looking forward to the trip.
Have you got any GPS marks, im still trying to get a mark for the shoals also.

Cheers Brad

Aaron Concord

August 21, 2008, 08:23:53 PM
Brad,

Have a look for Sandy Cape Shoals on an Admiralty chart...it's the most southern spot to look at. Can have breaking waves crash over it so be careful.
If you have Google Earth, you will make out the Spit Bombie....B I G fish...rough arse spot that has breaking waves over it most of the year :(

If you nail it though, it is an awesome spot that is a L O N G way from anywhere.

There is coffee rock reefs & wrecks all the way from Waddy Point north that have them. Also there is some coffee rock reef inside Break Sea as well though I don't have the marks...just fished on a boat that did....

Aaron.

Brad Dark

August 22, 2008, 06:22:54 PM

Can you find GT's out there all year round ?

Obviously I dont know much about these fish but I am trying to peice it all together. lol

Cheers : The Dumb Dude

Aaron Concord

August 22, 2008, 08:18:46 PM
Brad,

The GT's are there all year, though the max size does decrease in winter where the biggest are around 30-35kg.

I think the really massive fish just go and hang off the continental shelf during winter and eat snapper & pearlies for their kicks!

The size is bigger when the water is warm from November to April...this is when the 60+kg stonkers come in to play, though like anywhere, there is no guarantees....I'd really like to do some deeper work along the 30-60m drop off and raise the big buggers out of this depth around the bait schools out their....if it works elsewhere eh???? Also, there is more potential for doggies, yellowfin & billfish in this water too!

Aaron.