Grant Budd

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
slow jigging setup?
February 16, 2017, 07:00:22 PM
I am looking to purchase a dedicated Slow jig setup and my reel choice is down to Shimano Ocea Jigger 1501 HG Left which is made in Japan and import only or the current Saltiga 10HL which is made in Korea but can be purchased and serviced here by Daiwa....Eventually. Bearings for the Ocea and drag washers can be purchased easily from Shimano as they bring in a 1501 right hand wind. The Shimano would be easy to do a basic service as it is not Magsealed leaving the Daiwa out of action for a long period of time "if" it needs a bearing service. Does anyone have experience with these reels?

As for a rod Australia does not yet have any slow jig rods available. Storm are bringing in the SLO4 in several months and all other rods from Shimano and Daiwa are short strokers for higher speed work. Currently trying to track down a game type-J slow from Shimano is virtually impossible as my Greek and Japanese sucks! This is where the price can climb to $750 or more for Evergreen, Yamaga etc etc. Does anyone here have a slow jig rod they use in 35-60m with one of these reels and is happy with how it works?

Looking to run PE 1.5-2 braid.

Thanks

Grant

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: slow jigging setup?
February 17, 2017, 03:07:33 PM
Hi Grant,

I've sent rods to OZ from Malaysia, Borneo here. We've got Beats, Xesta, Yamaga Blanks and Majorcraft SJ jig rods ranging from power 2 to power 5. (PE1.5 to PE3 setup). Prices range from 300-600AUD, not including shipping. Might be far, but we've shipped over there before. Do let me know if our interested.