Rainer Cheong

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Okinawa/ishigaki Popping Options
February 19, 2017, 06:35:54 PM
Will be heading to Okinawa for a holiday and some scuba in November. Will only be with the girlfriend (who doesn't fish). Might anyone have suggestions on how I could get out and do some popping for a couple of days without hiring a whole boat? Would be a waste not to pop in those waters.

Ken Uechi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Okinawa/ishigaki Popping Options
March 09, 2017, 09:10:37 AM
I often visit Okinawa and have once gone GT fishing with a charter service through a fishing shop called Yosemiya.  I believe the shop owns a boat which is captained by a guy named Hayashi Masami.  Hayashi-san has his own company, Breeze Fishing Supply.  If you do an internet search for "Breeze Fishing Supply", his site should come up.  This particular service seems to specialize in fishing the areas off Naha and takes customers GT fishing at the Kerama islands, which is a small group of islands about 45 minutes by boat from Naha.  The Ripple Fisher crew have often fished with Hayashi-san as have other well known fishermen and fisherwomen.

I have also met another captain, Uehara-san, who GT fishes the waters off a less remote set of small islands in the Katsuren area.  However, I need to search through my things to find his contact information.  I could not find his site with a simple internet search.

Given the remoteness of Ishigaki, it may offer better waters for a GT bite.  I have never been there though.  I think Fisherman is headquartered in Ishigaki, so it may be helpful to try and find out how Suzuki-san goes about GT fishing in that area.
Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:54:52 AM by Ken Uechi