David Shinobi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Budget to Affordable Rods
March 20, 2017, 03:35:02 AM
Hello from sunny Florida everyone....  :)

Sadly we don't have GT's here but the next best thing I guess, Jack Crevalle and huge Tarpon.

Jack Crevalles don't get huge like GT's but 20-30lb'ers is quite common, my record is 27lb and that was a good fight.

Also, we don't have the nice GT equipment here like you all outside the U.S. and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for budget or affordable popping rods up to a $300 price range, anywhere in the world.

All we have here is the major brands but I'm not a fan of what they have available here..... you all outside the U.S. get all the nice toys!

I've also looked on eBay but shipping cost for some rods I like cost 3 times more than the rods themselves or to get free shipping I have to buy $200 worth of other stuff I don't need....  :-[

There's one I really like available here in the U.S. but a little out of my price range: http://www.hantarodsandlures.com/products/popping-rods/ulua-86-xh/

I'm looking for something that can cast 2-6oz as those are the weights of a lot of my plugs.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:31:45 AM by David Shinobi

Nicholas Santeloudi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Budget to Affordable Rods
March 20, 2017, 10:43:50 AM
You have saltywater tackle in the US. They are one of the best topwater fishing shops in the world have a look at what's available online at thir shop. Nic

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
David, fibding budget rods for tgis type of fishing is hard work. To start with, they tend to be built with premium components so will be expensive Just based on the components. I have no idea about Hanta. I have never heard of the brand and they are not that cheap.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

John Sorensen

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 22, 2017, 09:59:19 PM
Hi David,
I purchased a Wilson Blue Steel PE 8-10 rod a few years ago for $90. It has Fuji components, feels nice loaded up. I have only hooked one fish with it (may have gone close to 20kg), but dropped it at the side of the jetty. The rod handled it OK. Who knows how it will hold up though, I've only spent about 6 hours fishing with it, and it was hard work after a while. I guess my point is the rod was a few years old in a decent store in Perth, Western Australia, and was on clearance, so there can be bargains out there (I am unsure of its original retail price). I still believe quality can cost, and you should buy the best you can afford. I only made the purchase due to the really low cost.
Good luck in the hunt, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 23, 2017, 04:10:42 PM
Hi David,
I purchased a Wilson Blue Steel PE 8-10 rod a few years ago for $90. It has Fuji components, feels nice loaded up. I have only hooked one fish with it (may have gone close to 20kg), but dropped it at the side of the jetty. The rod handled it OK. Who knows how it will hold up though, I've only spent about 6 hours fishing with it, and it was hard work after a while. I guess my point is the rod was a few years old in a decent store in Perth, Western Australia, and was on clearance, so there can be bargains out there (I am unsure of its original retail price). I still believe quality can cost, and you should buy the best you can afford. I only made the purchase due to the really low cost.
Good luck in the hunt, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I have the same rod. Couldn't say no for the price I got it for with my brothers staff discount. I am no expert with never hooking into a GT before but I hooked a solid mac tuna on it once on locked up and it really put a big arse bloody bend in it. I think I would be worried if I hooked into a GT with it with a locked up drag. I have since bought a Daiwa Saltist Hyper PE8 but I haven't hooked into anything with that before to compare.
There's always a bigger fish!

Brian Haybittle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 25, 2017, 05:54:05 AM
Hi. I bought a Hamachi 10ft rod to shore cast for GTs. It has arrived. Will,try it slide baiting for kingfish soon first before I take to islands. Search eBay.

Samuel Shaw

• Phytoplankton
  • work fish work fish
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
September 02, 2017, 08:58:34 AM
One of the best 200 dollars I spent on a rod is the Tsunami Airwave Elite 11' 20-40lb/1.5-4.5oz
This pole has handled 20-40lb Gts here in Hawaii. We gotta stop these guys quick due to our reefs here.
I've had this pole  for 2 years and it's still handling