Kurt Ensbey

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lures for rough water
May 11, 2017, 07:40:55 AM
G'day,

Over the past couple of years a bunch of mates and myself have been targeting big spanish mackerel off the beach sliding live baits. We've done pretty well but the last few trips have been consistently running into 15-20kg GTs in some of our spots.
This has inspired me to have a crack at them on the spinning gear with braid and lures.

Obviously surfcasting isn't the most popular way of targeting GTs and the crashing waves probably rule out a lot of chuggers/pencils.
So I thought I'd put the feelers out for some long-casting, rough-water-capable lure suggestions?

Cheers in advance.
Kurt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Lures for rough water
May 11, 2017, 06:29:37 PM
Kurt - I would not underestimate the ability of GTs to pick the lures out of the surf. In Aitutaki, we are casting right into the shallows of the surf. You will find sinking stickbaits to be the easiest to use. Poppers will be fine too if you use them sensibly. Finally, I think pencil poppers will also work well.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 12, 2017, 09:09:54 AM
Heru skipjack 150g. Can cast far and is very good as You Can pop, sweep and skip it
Greetings
Simon

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
May 13, 2017, 10:18:09 PM
The most reliable rough water popper i have come across is a 125 Jai Bighead. It sems to stick to the water pretty well if the pops are timed correctly.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 04, 2017, 03:30:56 PM
Take a look at the Ice cream lures in above post.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 04, 2017, 03:36:08 PM
Take a look at the Ice cream lures in above post.