Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Airlines and rods
June 04, 2017, 03:50:06 PM
Most Airlines including Qantas have introduced new restrictions on Fishing equipment.
Fishing Equipment
To be accepted for carriage, they must be protected in a PVC cylinder with screw ends, which can be obtained from a local fishing store, or in PVC plumbing or electrical tubing. Fishing rods must not be strapped to suitcases and the length can not exceed 277cm (109in) on Qantas operated services.

If the fishing equipment and your checked baggage exceed your checked baggage allowance, airport excess baggage rates apply. For example, if your baggage allowance is one piece and you are travelling with a bag and a fishing rod, this will amount to two pieces and you will need to pay for the additional piece.

I Think you will find your 2 piece 8'6'' popping rod will be to long to go as checked baggage and will have to be sent cargo.

Padraic Clear

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Airlines and rods
October 19, 2017, 08:58:14 PM
How are people getting around this? Are 3 piece rods the way to go? The additional costs could ramp up considerably especially if three of more connecting flights are needed.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 22, 2017, 09:25:59 AM
Doug, there is nothig new in this. The 2.77cm limit has been in place for some time. Your 8'6" rod with a detachable butt will fit into that easily. It is the same with the baggage limit.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
November 04, 2017, 06:09:41 PM
Just back from a trip to the Maldives. No problems with the rod tube (containing an EP 85/36) on either Emirates or Maldivian Airways. 30kg baggage allowance with Emirates which is enough even for me, slightly less on Maldivian but at US$1 per kilo not an issue.
I got the impression that Maldivian Airways welcomed anglers and surfers which makes a nice change.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 05, 2017, 06:52:55 PM
When I flew with qantas last year from the uk to Exmouth they told me the KIS rod tube's dimensions would no longer be acceptable as checked luggage and would have to go cargo I left the Black hole cape cod with my mate in australia.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 05, 2017, 09:20:12 PM
Doug, what you got told makes no sense. Qantas insist rods are in a tube which is entirely sensible. They have never specified what tubes have to look like. I have had zero problems with carmates

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 05, 2017, 10:08:19 PM
Airlines have reduced the size of what is allowed as checked baggage it now stands at The maximum exterior dimension (length + width + height) of standard checked baggage is 62 inches (158 cm), including handles and wheels.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 08, 2017, 06:33:45 AM
You came upon a staff member who either doesn't understand their own rules or was just being difficult. Qantas carries bicycles, surfboards, surf skis etc, none of which fit within the 62cm limit. In comparison to a surf ski or surf board, your rod tube is compact!

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 09, 2017, 07:49:18 PM
I think each airline have their own limits on size for example Virgin atlantic the maximum size you can take as checked baggage is Standard dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75" x 30" x 26") and 23kg will apply regardless of the equipment type. In addition, we can no longer carry the following:

Canoes and kayaks
Hang gliders
Windsurfing equipment.

rudigonzales

• Phytoplankton
  • happy fishing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
March 29, 2018, 05:52:18 PM
FYI, Airline Garuda Indonesia gives us extra free bagage 23kgs for sport equipment including fishing tackles. If you fly on economy class, tou wil get 20kgs as regualr free bagage plus extra 23 kgs, total 43kgs.

I always choose Garuda Indonesia for my fishing trips.
Rudi

ryan jones

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 05, 2018, 03:35:49 PM
why wouldn't u protect ur investment in a hard case