Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ahhhh Bun you legend, thanks mate, I'll take 1 in each colour!!!! 8)
 ;)
Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:05:50 AM by Andre van Wyk
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
hi brandon,

mi a total newbie in popping...but i just wanted to say a BIG "thank u" for such a insightful trip report.

really makes me wonder if i can handle my trip in Dec....

lip song

Lip song,
I hope your Christmas Island trip prepares you a bit - don't forget to give me a full report   ;)

Brandon, it looks like I will need to be transferring more money to your account soon  ;D ;D ;D

Can't wait for my return... next year it will have to be more often!

AND THIS TIME I WILL TRY NOT TO BE BULLIED!!! (so much   :P)
Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:11:00 AM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Lip Song
Check out the thread on Christmas Island "Kiribati GT's". The GT's over there will give you a great introduction. Some of the footage they speak of shows up to 5 hookups in 1 cast. They kept dropping fish from laughing so much :D

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Its the other christmas island  chris  :)

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Bummer ;D

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Fantastic stuff Brandon.

Love the pics....Jelous. 8)

Pete

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
kasey,

i was told if i can't handle those huge GT, i can pass e rod to u  ;D ;D ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
oh, you're going with Kasey are you?! If that is the case, feel free to pass him the rod any time you like. Strapping young fellow like that should have no problem with a big GT! Would you like to borrow my OH55XH-S again just in case there are huge doggies around?   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Excellent report with lots of good info and awesome pics!!!!

Thanks for sharing that. Realy looking forward to experiencing a trip like that soon. Hope I can sore just one fish like the ones you are hugging

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
oh, you're going with Kasey are you?! If that is the case, feel free to pass him the rod any time you like. Strapping young fellow like that should have no problem with a big GT! Would you like to borrow my OH55XH-S again just in case there are huge doggies around?   ;D

Only if it comes fully rigged :-* I will be stopping in Sydney you know.

On a serious note, some time chasing big doggies will definately be invested - if the sharks allow. This "spooled" feeling is still something that is foreign to me ;)

Also looking forward to exchanging notes in the coming weeks Brandon - it looks like I will have to find more heavy stickbaits that the WV can handle. I'm surprised you didn't mention the Big Mouth 220hp tail in your list of "big poppers" - this was David's favourite the last time I was there. Note it wasn't mine - what a brick to cast!

Oh, and if it hasn't been said already...
Nice report! ;) When are we doing a trip together next year?  ;D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon, what more can be said? I would love to see a report when you are in peak condition and the fishing was hot :o Great job

On another note do you know if the thumper trout are the blue spot trout? Apparently you can tell by the pectorial fin being non transparent compared to all other types of trout.
Cheers

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
What an awesome report Brandon... I've read it about 3 times now  ;) mouth watering stuff!
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Warwick - I've got no idea whatsoever! A coral trout is a coral trout to me and they all seem to taste the same  :D

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Great report and pics Brandon, i can stop checking every 2 hours to see if you've posted now.
Are you still using the little compact, water-proof camera?

Almost didn't recognize you without your trademark hat.

I imagine the spaniard was taken on a stick bait? Do you pick them up on poppers as well?

I've also gotta get there......one day.
Cheers Darren.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: New Caledonia - trip rerort for August visit
September 24, 2008, 01:24:21 PM
Hi Darren - didn't get an opportunity to respond before the forum decided to take a holiday  :D

I've still got the little Olympus. The one thing that really bugs me about the camera is the lag time (I think it's technically called shutter speed) in taking photos. On the other hand, that little camera is so convenient as you can slip it into a pocket without noticing it is there. I know bugger all about cameras. All I know is to point and click. I've been considering a Canon G9 with the waterproof casing. I'll probably get around to buying one sometime.

I can't remember what the spaniard was caught on. You catch more on stickbaits but they do take poppers quite readily though. If you've seen the Nomad promotional DVD of 2007 highlights, there is this amazing segment of a spaniard that grabs my cubera and flies about twenty feet into the air! The Nomad boys were really disappointed when I didn't hook-up as they were thinking of their stomachs whereas I was really happy I didn't lose another popper.

One thing I found in New Caledonia - there are a lot of barracudas there, bloody mongrel $@#$%$ things that they are. I also found out the New Caledonian resident barracudas have a particular liking for Orion Bigfoot 170s, especially fusilier coloured ones. I think I've decided that I like barracudas even less than wahoos.

I've had a few people comment about my trademark hat. It's still around - I just had a waterproof gore-tex hat on in some of the really open conditions. I still find the old hat much more comfortable.
Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:36:57 PM by Brandon Khoo