Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all,

I'm planning for a popping and jigging trip and a friend commented that popping and jigging will yield better results if we go during fast current periods, especially for GT popping.

This got me thinking....Does faster currents during the full/new moon period equates to more/larger/better catch? Appreciate if you can share your views/experiences on this. Much thanks  :)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Short answer = Yes  ;D

Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for replying Jay  :)

I saw your nice sized catch for a very short window of popping. You also mentioned good tides during that morning. Does it mean that currents were very strong during the your good fishing period?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks for replying Jay  :)

I saw your nice sized catch for a very short window of popping. You also mentioned good tides during that morning. Does it mean that currents were very strong during the your good fishing period?

Yes the currents were very strong during the good fishing period. When I plan to go on a trip I aim to fish the days with the most tidal movement, it's very important. Neap tides can shut down the fishing entirely.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Collin.
I have found the following holds as far as popping goes. Biggest tides the best. 1 or 2 days around the new moon has the most fish and 2 to 3 days before the full moon gets the biggest fish.

Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for your replies guys. Phew! I've just confirmed a trip starting from the Full Moon to Cresent Moon period. Hope the popping will be good  ;D