Ray Stevens

Fishing around Cairns
October 12, 2008, 10:10:52 PM
Hey Guys,
We will be staying at the Shangrila Hotel in Cairns over 5 days from the 22nd to the 27th of December....and I was enquiring as to local knowledge about any good shore fishing locations jettys rock walls etc.

I have a particular kind of tackle I was looking to test out in the tropics link below.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=234&articleId=900&memberId=4

I have 4 of these clips left....any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Ray Stevens

Re: Fishing around Cairns
November 04, 2008, 09:47:59 PM
Hey guys,
I have had a lot of success with these down South...the reason I put it in the Jigging section, is because it is like it gives you the ability to Jig in shallow water, with out the need to actualy use a jigging action.

I have found that live baits, secured via a Button rig.. (Geoff Wilsons Complete Book of fishing knots and rigs page 77) can last for hours, and every time a predator approaches they panic...a live bait jigging for you.

Having never fished for GTS up North yet, I do not know how practical this rig would be up North yet for GTS...but there might be other speciecs that it would be usefull for....especialy in shore based situations.

Cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 09, 2008, 08:14:26 AM
Ray, if you're spending a few days in Cairns, you could do a lot worse than getting out for a day or two with Kerry Bailey if the weather permits. Kerry knows the area backwards and provided the conditions are ok, he will certainly get you onto some good fish.

Kerry Bailey - Blackout Sportfishing   http://www.blackoutsportsfishing.com/
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ray Stevens

November 09, 2008, 09:06:32 AM
Gidday Brandon...

Actualy we arrive in Cairns on the afternoon, of the 22nd, and coincidently I am going out with Kerry all day on the 23rd, so am going to get right into it.
I did look at his all day charter some months back and it did sound good, and it is nice to know that it has your recommendation...

Now Im really looking forward to it...lol.

Cheers Brandon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 09, 2008, 09:22:21 AM
that's great, Ray.
Give Kerry my best regards. He's a top bloke to go out fishing with.
If you want to fish for GTs, make sure you tell him that early so he can get you out to the right spots.
If it swims; I want to catch it!