Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Singles or Trebles
October 04, 2008, 06:44:03 AM
There have been some very interesting & helpfull posts being put forward lately, so i hope this one measures up to the rest that are being talked about.

I was just wondering about some of hook rigs that people use (singles & trebles)? What do you use & Why? Maybe it has to do with with a certain lure? (Brand) Locations that we fish might play a big part? Maybe it has to do with helping the lure swim more effectively, Or it might just be the fact that it suits the way you fish?  

So at the end of the day what is your preferd rig?

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Singles or Trebles
October 04, 2008, 09:25:18 AM
hey brock i would vote both mate .

cos i use the treble on the belly and the single hook on the tail of the popper and stickbait .

but some ppl use whole treble .
some ppl use single hook on tail with double single hook on the belly .
Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:05:52 AM by Mick Cunningham

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 04, 2008, 10:00:00 AM
My primary rig these days is a treble off the belly and a single off the tail. I like trebles and I don't subscribe to the theory that you catch more fish with singles.

I don't doubt that you drop a higher percentage of fish with trebles but I also don't doubt that the hook-up percentage is higher. If you know how to keep the pressure and tension on, you won't drop many fish.

The fact that we use barbless hooks contributes to this. That is a completely separate argument but I strongly support the use of barbless hooks for GTs. I don't want to start a debate but to me, if you intend to C&R, I believe it is irresponsible to use barbed hooks especially on fish like GTs which have a high escape ratio. There is a strong likelihood that any fish that escapes has been condemned to a slow death. I actually don't use barbs for any type of fishing these days.

I use a single off the tail because I cannot deny that over time, I have seen that trailing treble cause a lot of damage on fish as it swings around. The majority of GTs are hooked on the belly hook so the tail hook tend to swing around.

On smaller poppers, I often use just a belly treble. There is a reasonably well-known GT fisherman who fishes internationally who only uses a small belly trebles on his poppers like a 3/0 or 4/0. The reason is he wants to cause minimal damage to the fish. He drops heaps of fish but he is happy doing that.

The Baker rig which we use has been primarily driven by Nomad Sportfishing's abolishment of the use of trebles. It's a good but fussy set-up. I use these off the belly primarily with a single off the tail.

The big Japanese poppers have been designed to be used with a big treble like a Decoy 10/0 or a Gamakatsu Recorder 8/0. That's not to say that you can't use singles on them but they have been designed to be used with big trebles. You'll find the recommended hooks on their websites.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 04, 2008, 08:53:11 PM
Hi Brock

I'm  a bit on the fence here as I use singles on nearly all of my small lures under 100g, most of which swing Baker rigs. By running singles I can generally use bigger and stronger hooks because they weigh less than trebles.
In some instances when the water is rough I will use a single treble off the back to keep them in the water...remember these are small lures!
When I use the bigger stuff 120-170g I still use a Baker rig off the belly and a single off the back, I've found I am using singles more often than not because I can't be stuffed carting trebles around, but again, when the weather gets rough you can't beat a big treble off the guts to act as a keel to keep them tracking right.
A lot of this will come down to what is available and personal preferences/influences at the time and the type of lures used. As Brandon pointed out some lures are designed to swing trebles, they need that extra weight or drag or both to perform at they're best.
Regardless of whether I use singles or trebles they are all barbless. I haven't knowingly used a barbed hook in about 12 years on any tackle.
Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is using .

Chris