• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
All,

Please settle down.

Let's keep sledging to a minimum - some in moderation is fine.

Any more BS or self-promotion bordering on excessive, will see further action taken - so far ok but please keep in mind that we are trying to keep a high standard in what is the world's best GT popping resource.
Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:50:39 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Luke ,

This is what I call measured moderation , good on you !

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Aaron Concord

Luke,

Right on the money, mate.

As for people who infringe on Copyright & design for max profit, may
K A R M A get you!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron.

Peter Agapiou

I am sorry to have to make my first post on this forum which I have enjoyed and learnt so much from in this fashion, but there is more to this story which I feel readers should be made aware of.

I was in the tackle shop in question a few weeks ago now and there were a pile of simons rod blanks down the back of the shop. When I asked the guys there about them they informed me that simon had dropped them in to try and sell through the shop. Most of the blanks where all from america with a particular brand simon was promoting heavily as and I quote " AN EXACT COPY of the calstar blanks".
This is the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black I have seen in a long time and not to mention dumping on the shops integrity who you are trying to do business with.
Shame on you and yes isnt karma a funny thing.
I hope this isnt too blunt for this forum and apologise for being so as I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing more useful topics in times to come.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
I had a look at some of these luare lures today and they dont look anything special. Then again, I havent seen the originals that they are copied off. But at a similar price to cuberas and skipjacks I would rather get the blackjack/heru ones.

Simon Oakley

Luke or Brandon I believe this is an attack on me and my reputation and would like to leave this post here unedited.  Thank you

I am sorry to have to make my first post on this forum which I have enjoyed and learnt so much from in this fashion, but there is more to this story which I feel readers should be made aware of.

I was in the tackle shop in question a few weeks ago now and there were a pile of simons rod blanks down the back of the shop. When I asked the guys there about them they informed me that simon had dropped them in to try and sell through the shop. Most of the blanks where all from america with a particular brand simon was promoting heavily as and I quote " AN EXACT COPY of the calstar blanks".
This is the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black I have seen in a long time and not to mention dumping on the shops integrity who you are trying to do business with.
Shame on you and yes isnt karma a funny thing.
I hope this isnt too blunt for this forum and apologise for being so as I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing more useful topics in times to come.

First of all if you weren't at the shop when I was there how could know what I was promoting "HEAVILY".
I didn't say it was "AN EXACT COPY" of a Calstar blank. I said it was modelled off a Calstar blank and these particular models are almost and exact copy (some when trimmed from the tip/butt) of the said model/s (3 out off a blank range totalling almost 500 different blanks). Even the shop owner said they weren't exactly the same. 
I showed them a 3 different blanks two of them that are close to a Calstar Graphiter GF800M only one has a faster action and the other a slower action. They wanted something that would be good for medium to heavy popping and that is what I recommended and for about 1/2 the price with a lifetime warranty they are pretty good (as they were looking for something that didnt cost hundreds).
I didn't bring them in to "Sell through the shop" as you say. I am a mate of there rodbuilder Darren or "Dazza" to his mates who works there who asked me about 2 or 3 weeks before to bring around a bunch of blanks that he could have a look at so I took around about 30 different blanks (Barra, Bream, Game, Saltwater ect) and left them there. They didn't even have any prices on them and they were taken there to show Darren not the owner although he did have a look and I said I was in a hurry and I would pick them up some other time. They were also left out the back of the shop in the storeroom so how were they selling them for me or left there for customers to see.   

If you know so much you would also know that a Calstar blank is a direct "Copy" of a Californian Sabre Blank who were the first to make a range of blanks that have a E/Glass tip transitioning into a Graphite Mid and Butt section (that I know of).
I can tell you of a number of Blanks that Calstar make that are direct copies of Sabre (the GF410 is one of the first that springs to mind as it is a "EXACT copy of a Sabre Hot Rod Blank and I can tell you now there are a hell of a lot more at least 50% of the whole Calstar range is an "Exact" copy of the Sabres hell most even have the same part numbers). So far I can think of about 8 company's that make the same type of blank so who's copying who.

Another company in Australia sells Shikari blanks (now called ATC blanks) that have a larger range of the Calstar copy's (G Force) then all of these 3 manufacturers I showed them. The same company also made a copy of a Japanese Popping Rod (should they get there Karma as well) but somehow I am the bad one trying to make a living for my family selling what I distribute.
Composite Developments was the first to make a duel helix blank and how Graphite USA make them as well I suppose anyone that sells them should get there Karma too.

You say I was dumping on the integrity of the shop who sells the if anything I talked them up with words like and a quote.
"When someone says the name copy they straight away think that the copy is inferior but I can tell you now these copies are pretty good quality.
They come unrigged but they use heavy gauge stainless wire and swivels and although the paint jobs isn't the quality of the originals it is pretty good and will take quite a beating.
Go into Tackle World and check them out I can almost guarantee if you are keen on some heavy duty poppers for the price you will like what you see".
"Go into Tackle world and check them out you will like what you see" if that is dumping on someone I wish everyone did it to me and I didn't say what shop it was or where I just said Tackle World as most will have them and show me where in this entire thread or anywhere else I have ever dumped on the said shop. I can almost gaurantee I support them (Tackle World)a hell of a lot more then you (how many reels lures ect have you purchased from them)and I consider the owner and staff to be pretty good people and I deal with a lot of tackle shops so I know how hard it is in the tackle industry especially for the smaller independent retailers with all the big shoebox stores like BCF, Amart, Anaconda ect. One of there workers is a member of this forum and I am pretty sure he has read this (I know you are good mates with Rob so if he wanted to say anything why didnt he or the owner do it today)and I was in there at about 4.00 pm today and nothing was said to me. Retail is about supply and demand and if you didn't stock them you would be a idiot and wouldn't last to long in business as I can guarantee that the another tackleshop will sell them if you don't.     
A lot of people don't have the disposable income that others do and a lot of the originals cost around $100 to $120 if you can get them. You said (sorry wrong Peter) that you were in there today and they didn't seam like anything special but at around 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the originals like I said they will sell well I purchased 2 just to see what they go like against the original Japanese ones I have, not that I have any time to use them.
If I did have any distain it would be towards the company Luars Lures (its not owned by Tackleworld Australia like I was told) but that is how the whole tackle business works Someone has a good idea and brings something out and then someone else try's to copy it. Do you think that one day in Japan 10 different people simultaneously had a brainwave to start up Boutique Jigging and Popping Tackle Company's and on the same day Fisherman, Carpenter, Seven Seas, Smith, Hots ect were started. 
Like Aaron Concord said As for people who infringe on Copyright & design for max profit, may K A R M A get you!!!!!!!!!!
The only reason I started this thread was to hear what poeples thoughts are on this subject as you see it all the time and let them know if they wanted to see what they looked like what shops stock them (Tackle World).

Travis said I am just the same as the copiers because I am getting some blanks made in Japan to build Popping and Jigging rods here in Australia but when someone else does it, its the way to go
http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=284.msg3081#msg3081
Peter just like Travis did, you went and shot off at the mouth without knowing well anything about anything really. You got the whole story ballsed up. You said
"I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing more useful topics in times to come". Lets just hope you research what your saying next time instead of trying to blacken someone's reputation with a whole lot of Crap (Hear say). Libel and Slander
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

I dont know if you were put up to post this or you just thought you would do it your self as I see you only joined 2 days ago but you have deffinetly got everything wrong and I dont know if you were told that or what but I stand by everything I have put in this post and if you or anyone else don't agree you know where I work you can come around and we can talk it out. Its easy to say things when you are behind a computer!!!!    

Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:54:23 AM by Simon Oakley

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Okay guys - let's call it a day on this thread.

We take great pride in the fact that this site has been free of the invective which is so common on other sites. We are also proud of the fact that the number of times that moderator intervention has been required since this forum commenced is absolutely minimal. The reason for this is primarily because of the quality of the members that we have. We would like to keep it this way.

Simon - neither Luke or myself are in a position to establish the veracity or your's or Peter's claims. On that basis, we will let your response stand but we request that you both discontinue this topic.

Finally, if you wish to advertise your products, can I request that you please PM Luke to discuss this.

thank you for your cooperation.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Oakley

Done With This Thread

Thank you Brandon I appreciate that
I think the rodbuilder or shop owner could tell you but I am darn sure his version isn't different to mine. I don't know if the owner will but I will bring it to his attention and the rodbuilder is fishing in the NT for the next few weeks.
I like the anonymity a handle (user name) gives you and I signed up with that first. I never wanted to even say where I worked in the tackle industry but someone implied I didn't so I told them who I was. Free advertising is not my intention and I am happy to do something in the near future (about 2 months I hope as some are being tested as we speak on a boat out of Cairns/Cooktown) when I have some rods that pertain to this websites focus (i.e.: Popping and Jigging).
The problem is that it happened like this (he said she said) and it is obvious that his posts intention was to make me look bad (typical Real Estate Agent)and I don't know if it has been done off his back or he has been told this. If I have dumped on this said shop I would like to see in this thread or any other where I have.
I just joined this website as I like jigging and popping as thought I could share some info with others as I have "some" knowledge on the subject as well as extensive knowage on blank and rod design and know several people in the Japan tackle industry as well that I speak with regularly that know most of the ins and outs of it. I was going to post some pictures of the poppers and see what people thought about them quality wise and if I thought so badly about them I wouldn't have purchased the 2 today to put up against the originals. Anyway I am done with this thread if you would like to see some pictures of them please PM me.   
Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:54:36 AM by Simon Oakley