Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi folks,

I don't post that much on here but I do enjoy popping ['scuse the pun] in occasionally to see what's been going on, who's been catching what and dreaming of getting out there and catching some GT's myself one day  ...

Only problem is there aren't too many GT's in the river Thames !  Lots of other big fish with carp up to 20kg's which are my main quarry but it's sure not as appealing as battling some salt water steam trains in the tropical sun.

I did hook up with a GT in Brazil 2 years ago up in Bahia state off a local fishing boat but the boat was not very manouverable and I was seriously undergunned ..  it took 300 yards of 6kg line off me and my only option was a swim or put the brakes on and try and stop it so I guess you can guess who won that one !
I did catch a couple of small GT's off Exmouth Harbour wall one night on the West coast of Oz along with a heap of other stuff which was great fun.

However I've now booked to go to the Andaman Islands for Christmas and the New Year and can't wait !

How many of you guys have been there?

I will mainly be fishing from the shore, wading, fishing from rocks where possible but will also be looking at hiring a local boat on a budget to take me out to some spots and I would also like to hire a proper sport boat to charter a few days if possible. Ideally I'd like one for the whole week but cost may be prohibitive.

I'm also keen to know what gear I should be packing for such a trip.
I will be taking some travel rods and spinning reels along my Penn trolling rod and reel outfit but think I need a stick for throwing poppers a good distance. Also keen to know what other bits of kit you guys would think are essential that I might not think of such as gloves, unhooking equipment (will normal 12inch forceps do?) etc etc ...

I do have good experience of sea fishing around the world but realise these fish are something else and want to give myself the best possible chance of landing one.

Would also be very interested to know about any shore based marks around the islands where I can throw some poppers with a good chance if a hook up. Those spots look fairly few and far between as it appears to be mainly shallow water around most of the islands.

Thanks in advance for all your help and direction.

Best Regards

Matt Harvey