Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader length
October 03, 2008, 05:19:14 PM
Older Stella 10000 Zeck. Trying to figure out how the new one is worth almost twice the dosh. However still have a spare rod that needs a reel so that equation may not need much more deliberating.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 05, 2008, 07:21:58 PM
50-75cm of 100/150lb nylon double crimped to around 50cm of 300/400lb nylon shock leader or FC for sticbaits. Catspawed to bimini double this setup has never failed me! I've been well of truely reefed - in the case of some monsters i've seen this year, but the most important factor for me is that such a short leader system can well and truely cope with high shockload (assuming we are talking about 130lb+ braids) i.e. KISS! Keep it Simple Stupid!

Admittedly this may not be the best length leader setup for all situations but it definitely works great for me where I fish. I would still be inclined to fish this setup in ultra shallow water too - but again, i'm not talking about sub 40kg fish - so in this case, if haven't turned the fish's head then you could be well and truely F*****D.

Sachin, you will find that when the FA was released, the price was very comparable to this new model's price. I bet most would be begging Shimano to release a new Stella model if they hadn't already done so! At least in today's economic climate it's not so unfathomable to see the Stella priced at where they are.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 06, 2008, 06:42:18 PM
A bit off topic here but I think the new Stella pricing has more to do with the Saltigas and Accurate Twinspin than anything else. The Stella has the best reputation but with these newer reels the best suddenly became the cheapest. Shimano is just making money and eventually we will all have to pay
because there won't be anything except the current model to buy.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 06, 2008, 11:17:35 PM
I actually prefer to have my index finger on the braid when casting... not sure why, I think you get a much better feel that way. Also, if you're index finger is on mono, it usually means that you're leader is long enough that it wraps onto the spool, and this generally effects casting distance.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 07, 2008, 12:54:25 AM
IMHO , the leader should be longer than the fish you intend to catch but considerations for longer leader is to enable easy tracing the fish so it can be easily released , extra long leader is necessary when one cast from the bow of the boat , any 40+ ft boat will be some 5' above the surface of the water , add the waist height and some , you are likely to get a minimum of 9' before adding cut offs . If one fish from a small boat , extra long leader isn't necessary and either mono or PE line on the index finger is personal choise .

What affect casting distance are a few ; too bulky a knot between PE n mono leader , too small diameters of the guides including the tip top , too big diameter of the PE n mono leader are among those which will reduce casting distance .

My preference are PE4 - 80 lbs. mono leader , PE5 - 100 lbs. mono leader , PE6 - 130 lbs. mono leader , PE7 - 150 lbs. mono leader and PE8 - 200 lbs. mono leader . I may add 6~8" of 400 lbs. fluorocarbon bite leader crimped on both side , when deemed necessary .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 09, 2008, 02:21:11 PM
hi,

Question: if i were to connect my mainline (130lb GT max) to 1 end of a swivel (leader on e other end) , what knot should i use?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 09, 2008, 02:46:33 PM
hi,

Question: if i were to connect my mainline (130lb GT max) to 1 end of a swivel (leader on e other end) , what knot should i use?

A recipe for cracked SIC ring at the tip top guide .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Ray Stevens

October 10, 2008, 11:45:35 PM
Anybody using wind on leaders guys?

Cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2008, 06:21:42 PM
Not really recommended, Lip Song. Over a period of time, you're going to put so much stress on the SiC tip by accidentally winding it too far that it will eventually crack. if you want to fish for GTs, it is best to learn and use the direct braid to mono knots. Quite frankly, you'd be better off using a really basic bit fat braid to mono knot like an albright instead of the swivel.

If you use too short a leader, it won't be long enough to avoid that deadly tail on the GT.

hi,

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2008, 06:23:13 PM
I've seen a number of people using these over the years, Ray, but they always have had casting problems.

Anybody using wind on leaders guys?

Cheers

Ray Stevens

October 11, 2008, 07:55:06 PM
Hello Brandon,
I was reading about the knot tests before and was doing some research, on joining super lines....following up an idea I had.

I discovered that 2 seperate Spider Wire Fusion lines labelled as 24 lb breaking strain, with Bimini doubles... where joined with a 10 fold Cats Paw (Bimini Cats Paw Splice)

In Test one the join remained intact and the line broke at the hook tied with a braid snell at 25 lbs or 11.3 kg

In Test 2,
The Hook was retied using a Braid snell, which again broke but this time at 12.1 kg

The Cats paw join survived both tests....

In The next test... fresh line was used same breaking strain as above in Spider Wire Fusion 24 lb, both lines again joined with a Bimini Cats Paw Splice, only this time the hook was tied using an extra bimini double, with a silly snell to engage the scales.

This time the line broke at 12.4 kg outside of the join 14% over the lines stated breaking strain.

Apparently normal braided lines joined with a Bimini Cats Paw splice break at about 84% of the Braid lines labelled breaking Strain.
However for some reason Spider Wire Fusion is an exception to this rule.

I had thoughts about a Spiderwire Fusion Mainline with a 70 turn bimini twist, joined with a 10 fold Bimini Cats Paw splice to a Sturgeon Mono wind on leader.

My train of thought had been on the Bungy effect of the Mono Sturgeon leader, lessening the strain on the Cat Paw join, between the Spiderwire Fusion and the Dacron at the loop of the Sturgeon leader...

Do you know if anybody has tried this....?

Cheers
Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:57:32 PM by Ray Stevens

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2008, 10:14:40 PM
I'm not familiar with a sturgeon wnd-on leader, Ray.
All I can say on wind-ons is that they don't seem to work very well when casting.
Also, all the testing I've done incorporating shock loads nearly always sees the braid breaking somewhere along the mainline and not at the knot. GTs do terrible things to mono leaders that stretch too much. I've seen mono leader stretched to the point where it has been severely damaged.

You won't find many of us using spiderwire these days. It's isn't as round as most of the latest braids and doesn't cast as well

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 15, 2008, 02:03:33 AM
thanks brandon & jon,
think i stick back to wind on leader for now, was trying out the short leader setup & i think i share ur feeling: trigger finger on leader still felt better than on mainline.

Not really recommended, Lip Song. Over a period of time, you're going to put so much stress on the SiC tip by accidentally winding it too far that it will eventually crack. if you want to fish for GTs, it is best to learn and use the direct braid to mono knots. Quite frankly, you'd be better off using a really basic bit fat braid to mono knot like an albright instead of the swivel.

If you use too short a leader, it won't be long enough to avoid that deadly tail on the GT.

hi,