Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stella FA's vs SW's
October 03, 2008, 05:35:43 PM
Hi all
Just interested in everyone's thoughts on the older stella's vs the new 08 models.
I've been looking at the the specs of both and yes, the newer ones are sweet looking, are much lighter and the Propulsion Line management system does sound quite impressive... however... does this all come at a price?
Firstly... they are much much dearer to buy.
Secondly... they appear physically smaller, so line capacity is down a bit.
Thirdly... the claimed max drag on the 10000/20000 sizes isn't quite as high as the FA's (yes I am aware that you would almost never get to use 23/25kg anyway  ;))
Fourthly... they are yet to stand the test of time like the proven FA's.

I'd be very interested in hearing everones thoughts on these and your own comparison... especially from those that have bought the SW's and gone out and put them to the test.
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Stella FA's vs SW's
October 03, 2008, 05:47:08 PM
Rob, my view for what it's worth:
  • Shimano would never have released a new reel until they were satisfied the reel was superior to what it was replacing
  • The new reel is of course more expensive and even more so when you factor in that many retailers are discounting the old model
  • Line capacity is not down
  • The issue on the drag rating is largely irrelevant

The old reel is a time-proven piece of equipment. You don't need a new reel but it sure is nice to have one!  ;)  :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 03, 2008, 06:13:28 PM

Ooops, you're right Brandon... I just double checked that one and line capacity is the same.
<*///><

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 05, 2008, 07:24:27 PM

Ooops, you're right Brandon... I just double checked that one and line capacity is the same.

Hi Rob,

I've been fishing with the new Stella's for almost a year now - although the FA/old SW could catch any sized GT, I just can't see me ever going back to the old model.

There are quite a few enhancements in the new model which make fishing so much more enjoyable and comfortable!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 13, 2008, 10:27:49 PM
Just a question about the new SW's...
I know a guy that was talked out of buying one by his local tackle shop because they told him that the handle spun on "plastic bushes" rather than a bearing???
I find it hard to believe, but because I dont have one yet... I couldn't confirm either way.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 13, 2008, 10:56:08 PM
Rob, all I can say is that  it is irresponsible of that tackle shop to be talking rubbish. If your friend wants to buy equipment like this, perhaps he is better of going to a store where they actually know something about the reel. Your e-mail annoyed me enough to want to prove this so I stripped the handle off my 18000XG.

I have a Fisherman handle so just ignore this but as you can see, it is handle, ball bearing, knob, ball bearing, screw. Photo is not great but you can see enough, Methinks tackle shop talk rubbish

I know a guy that was talked out of buying one by his local tackle shop because they told him that the handle spun on "plastic bushes" rather than a bearing???
I find it hard to believe, but because I dont have one yet... I couldn't confirm either way.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 13, 2008, 11:08:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Brandon... but I'm pretty sure he meant the bearings inside the reel body... the ones that the drive gear run on and the handle screw into (sorry I should have been more clear)

So far... I share your sentiments on the tackle shop talking rubbish
<*///><

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 13, 2008, 11:35:07 PM
Personally I think the shop could not sell Shimano therfore talked you out of a Shimano reel. Now why would one talk a person out of purchasing a $1k + reel with BS like that??? Im sure if it had bushing somewhere its for good reason otherwise it wouldnt be worth over $1k.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 02:37:18 AM
hon-su
The only reason's I can think of is...
1)The shop owner has a few FA's to off-load?
2)The shop owner has a preference for daiwa?

BTW - I'm unable to find any schematics for the SW's on the net, but I did find out that both the FA's and SW's come with 15 bearings... which would make one assume that the bearing arrangement would be similar.
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 06:39:48 AM
Rob, no way I am taking a Stella apart myself - you're on your own now!!  :D

Thanks for the reply Brandon... but I'm pretty sure he meant the bearings inside the reel body... the ones that the drive gear run on and the handle screw into (sorry I should have been more clear)

So far... I share your sentiments on the tackle shop talking rubbish

Ben Rutkin

October 14, 2008, 08:32:33 AM
No way its true!  Plastic bushes come standard on all Stella's and the bearings are the silver candy balls used to decorate cakes.  I wouldn't get a Daiwa either, they are held together by 'hopes and dreams' according to the salesman I saw. 

Jarvis Walker.... Now that has quality parts. Got me a JW for $100 less than the Stella FA - BARGAIN!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 10:41:32 AM

This is false.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 01:08:18 PM
Thanks Luke... that clears that up  ;D
BTW Brandon - a couple of weeks ago, I fully stripped down a mates 20000FA that was in desperate need of a service. It's not an overly difficult job... but it was quite time consuming!
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 01:35:14 PM
hi Rob
I'm sure it isn't rocket science but I'd rather leave it to the guys who do it for a living who I know would be better at it than me. That way, I suppose I can blame someone else when I lose a fish!  :D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 07:43:46 PM
When it comes to servicing my Stellas I would rather invest another $50 in a pro job.

Even the Spheros FA series used one BB on the handle
Greg 'FFF' Burt