Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shoalwater GT
October 03, 2008, 11:16:06 AM
Went to the bottom end of Shoalwater Bay last weekend mainly after table fish but as always I took my GT gear.
After catching mackeral, cobia and various reefies, we went for a troll down the eastern side of an island up there.

On went a green 140gm Ebipop and out it went, slowly working it back to the boat which was trolling at idle.
After about 10 casts the popper landed in a wash off a low shelf of rock, as the retrieve began a GT of approx 50kg followed it for about 20m without biting, it must have been 30cm across the shoulders, a massive fish that got us all excited.
Ten mins later another follow, no hookup, a few minutes later another follow, no hookup again, it seemed they weren't interested.
Next a strike but no hookup, and again....
Then finally a follow with a hookup. The fish took about 15m of drag before slugging it out deep in 30m of water after being dragged away from the rocks.

She came to the surface and was gently gaffed in the jaw and comfort lifted aboard, a quick photo and released to swim strongly away.

We estimated her to be 30kg.

In 60 mins 6 fish were raised with 1 landed, I live in Paradise......

Details... Ebipop 140 with 5/0 ST76's, 120lb leader with a 1m 200lb bite leader, Tokara 60 and Saltiga GT with 130lb Tufline.

Ken

"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Shoalwater GT
October 03, 2008, 01:02:11 PM
well done ken .

if you see a gt following your lure then go a bit faster so he think the lure is trying to get away fast from it  ::).

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 04, 2008, 07:31:21 AM
Nice report. Colour of that water is astounding...

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 05, 2008, 05:08:56 PM
Great catch ken,
were you in shoalwater bay itself or out the eastern side near the pearl bay area?

The weather is hotting up nicely, hopefully the fishing for gt's in that area does too. They have been a little slow in the colder months. The water certainly looks good.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 06, 2008, 09:16:30 AM
Warwick,

The islands on the bottom end near Pearl Bay.
I am sure they all hold good numbers of fish, haven't done any real exploring as yet.
The water was great with some algae scum.

Are you local?

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)