Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smith Rod's tech talk
October 07, 2008, 02:30:54 PM
Hi all
I have a friend that owns a Tokara and I am looking buying a Komodo Dragon.
I've been looking over the stats for the 2 rods and I'm a little confused.
They're both 7'6", the both have a PE12 rating, but...
The Tokara has a max lure weight of 250g and max load of 13kg(@45deg)
and the KD has a max lure weight of 300g but a max load of 10kg(@45deg)
Could someone please explain to me why the Max Load would be less on the KD and the importance of this in a fishing situation?
Cheers Rob
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Smith Rod's tech talk
October 07, 2008, 05:43:25 PM
I have never understood this and I have fished my Komodo much higher than this for a long time without any problems whatsoever. Having previously owned Tokaras as well, it is even more baffling as I find the Komodo stronger than the Tokara. Perhaps Steve Walsh from Australian Angling can explain.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 07, 2008, 06:07:57 PM
Hi Brandon
I'm kinda glad it has you baffled too... it makes me feel better about my lack of understanding  ;D
By the way Brandon, I've read in your trip reports where you use both the KD and the WV80XH... how would you compare the 2?
I'm interested in both.... but is it like comparing "holdens" and "fords"?(note - I'm not starting a holden's vs ford debate!) ;D
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 07, 2008, 07:13:34 PM
Rob, the Wv80XH and the Komodo Dragon are almost in different classes of rods. Firstly, let me preface this by saying the KD is one of my favourite rods - it's about the only rod that gets to go on every trip. That said, I do not regard it as a PE12 rod. The WV80XH on the other hand, is a true PE12 rod. Don't necessarily think that heavy is better - it really is a matter of horses for courses.

To me, anyone in half decent shape can fish a KD happily whereas I do not recommend the WV for mere mortals. A lot of people think the rod is quite comfortable to fish because it is quite progressive in comaprison to something like a SP78UHL but down low, it's an animal. If you hook a really big GT on a tight drag, you'll want to be strong because you may very well end up wandering whether you've caught the fish or the fish has caught you. I am unfortunately not in half decent shape at the moment and a WV80XH would likely see me splayed out spreadeagled on the deck.

In terms of a choice, it comes down to what you want to target and how many GT rods you want to own. If you're looking for a versatile GT rod that will fish a range of weights and is quite manageable, the KD is the go. On the other hand, if you are targeting monster GTs and you can handle it, the WV80XH is awesome. Just remmeber that monster GTs don't grow on trees.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 07, 2008, 08:28:50 PM
Excellent run down on the 2 rods there Brandon! That's exactly the type of info I was looking for... thanks heaps for that.
I'm in reasonably good shape, but still cant imagine fishing much above PE10... well not at this stage anyway!
I think the eventual plan is to own both ;)... but at that stage I think the KD might be the first to arrive.
<*///><

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 07, 2008, 09:49:57 PM
You might find the KD a little more accessible that a WV - or any other Carpenter for that matter.

AustralianAngling

October 15, 2008, 02:16:52 PM
1. Difference of lure weight
Tokara: 250g   Komodo : 300g
The difference is due to the time they were manufactured.  At the time Tokara was manufactured, max weight of lure was about 200g, so we made it 250g.  while, at the time Komodo was manufactured, max weight of lure was about 280g, so we made it 300g.  However, Tokara is stronger than Komodo actually, we are going to change it to 300g in the future.

2. Max Load
Tokara : 13kg (45 deg.)  Komodo : 10kg (45 deg.)
The difference is due to material and action (rod taper).  Both models use 30t. middle elasticity & 40t. high elasticity carbon, but Komodo has more component ratio of 40t.  So, Tokara is stronger in strength, and Komodo is higher in restoration speed.  Tokara which is slow-tapered can distribute power on the whole rod, so Tokara is stronger than Komodo.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 15, 2008, 06:06:36 PM
Great Info there Steve... thanx
In your opinion...
If the Tokara is the stronger rod, I assume it could handle PE12, what PE would be best suit the Komodo?
<*///><

AustralianAngling

October 15, 2008, 06:40:17 PM
SMITH advised me for safety reason, they indicated Tokara 13kg (45 deg.) and Komodo 10kg (45 deg.)

Both rods would suit PE#12 = 170lb.

Though PE#10 = 130lb /60KG would be more than enough, as if you work at the old method at drag settings no more than 1/3 the braking strain of line thats is still more than rod rating. This also allows for 300m of line to be put on most of the reels commonly used.

Enoch Li

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 03:33:58 PM
When has the Tokara rating been changed to 300g?  If it hasn't yet, when in the future will it  be changed?

Cheers

1. Difference of lure weight
Tokara: 250g   Komodo : 300g
The difference is due to the time they were manufactured.  At the time Tokara was manufactured, max weight of lure was about 200g, so we made it 250g.  while, at the time Komodo was manufactured, max weight of lure was about 280g, so we made it 300g.  However, Tokara is stronger than Komodo actually, we are going to change it to 300g in the future.

2. Max Load
Tokara : 13kg (45 deg.)  Komodo : 10kg (45 deg.)
The difference is due to material and action (rod taper).  Both models use 30t. middle elasticity & 40t. high elasticity carbon, but Komodo has more component ratio of 40t.  So, Tokara is stronger in strength, and Komodo is higher in restoration speed.  Tokara which is slow-tapered can distribute power on the whole rod, so Tokara is stronger than Komodo.

I've learned what I am really after
comes along with what is caught at the
end of my line...

Jin Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 04, 2010, 10:09:57 PM

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 04, 2010, 11:21:04 PM

hi jin
sound like you have a problem with the female .
i would get a soft rug and small screw driver and clean the dirt out of the female and also clean up the male and put some nice wax on . then try it again hope it will go in more than half way
i did had the same thing a long time ago .
let us know if this work,s hope that help,s
Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:51:26 PM by Mick Cunningham

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 05, 2010, 09:11:08 AM
G'day Jin
Without seeing your pic, I assume you are one of our Brazilian buddies from Matava?
Say hi Junior, Marco(Maggi says "Hello") and your other mate(sorry, cant remember his name?). I will be putting up a report soon... just waiting on the pics from Gav.

OK, in regard to your Tokara, I'd give the handle a good clean inside, but I wouldn't use a "rug" or "screwdriver" ... the rug is best left on the floor and the screwdriver  is likely to srcatch the internals and weaken the graphite. Try using a length of wooden dowel and a soft cloth. You can use some soapy water or even "Rubbing Alcohol" (bought from the chemist) to remove any grime.
Once dry, try applying a light film of Smith Rod Ferrule Wax to the male part of the rod...

Sami should be able to hook you up with some of this.

Dont worry if the rod doesn't slip into the handle all the way to the epoxy... all our rods varied and anything up to 20mm is perfectly fine. Just make sure that after you apply the ferrule wax, you assemble the handle until it is fairly snug and firm... but dont force it in.
If you can only get the male half way into the female... I'd say you have a faulty rod and I'd take it back to the place of purchase and get it looked at.
When you say the "Tip of the male was slightly bent due to the pressure of the fish", are you referring to the bottom part of the male ferrule or the Tip Top guide? Either way, it will need looking at before your next trip.

Having said that, my KD was a neat fit and I needed ice to seperate it and my SP78H was that tight to pull apart, it took Adrian(with Neoprene gloves) and Joe to twist and pull it apart! I think the heat and humidity can do strange things to rods!

Hope this helps.
Cheers Rob
Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:18:40 AM by Robert Palcak
<*///><

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 05, 2010, 03:33:08 PM
Hi. I would lightly sand with fine grit wet & dry and use wax to get it in all the way. My 3 month old KD broke because of such a problem around the fit and Smith refused to replace it saying the male should have been put in all the way. $400 USD for a top part + shipping to and from Japan. Will get it repaired elsewhere. >:(

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 05, 2010, 05:00:06 PM
If that is the case, I'm in deep s--t if I break any of my 'Top' rods in that area, as the only ones that fit all the way are my four T-Curves, I actually leave them joined as they are short, old, 'stuck' and 'Decky' boat rods.
I have sanded down a Zenaq 83-7 [instructions from my purchaser] but still have 20mm of the male butt end protruding, while my KD is only about 10mm which seems is still enough to void warranty.
Isn't it back on the manufacturer anyway, as his product doesn't fit properly?? >:(
Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:05:08 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt