Aaron Concord

Hi All,

'Twas a GT fishing in mind with the Man Mountain today (AKA Gordon Low).
Point Lookout was the target.
Got out no probs and found the current had swept in at a caaaarazy rate!
We tried, in amongst some hairy looking squalls, to punch poppers into the fray but alas, the current made the 'Group" off Point Lookout more like Shoalwater Bay or Spit Bombie....it was nuts trying to fish there in a 4.8m Galeforce!!!!
We tried a few hidey holes though the short, violent chop prevented any real attempt. It took 3000RPM just to stay stationary in a few spots....

Thought I'd just mentioned that the current was there & I can only surmise what the reefs of Moreton Island or Tweed Heads must of looked like today.

We need a bigger boat...

On a cautionary note, the steepness of the cracking chop plus the vaccum of being pulled into breaking surf is a real threat in all great GT locations......ya don't need a ton of water dumping into an open boat at all.

Aaron.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Aaron ...I know the places you speak of well, I would not like to be casting from the front of the Gailey, you guys need a lean post before someone goes swimming. :o
Gordon and I have been there a few times in my boat when the current is running and it is no place for the faint hearted thats for sure.
Interesting that we have a few more days before the bigger tides, makes me wonder how much those Northerlies are pushing the currents, better still what is coming south with them ;)

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aaron,

You could have at;east taken a photo for us to have a look at, pictures speak louder than words  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hope you guys had fun on your day off. Did you manage to get hold of anything while you were out?

Aaron Concord

Chris,

If the boat could have a front & rear one fitted it would make this kind of fishing safer.
Having said that, the pressure waves were capping and cracking against the boat in over 100 feet of water, let alone in closer to the GT cover!
Freeboard was a real issue!
I haven't seen so much water pour through there...ever!
Colour was awesome and the temp was above 23 degrees.
All the usual suspects like 'hoo, GT's & billfish would be around if we could have fished it properly. Instead it was a chooona on fly arvo instead.

Brock,
With all the constant rain, I wasn't going to 'test' the weather seals on the D300 for anyone! It IS a shame, since it really did look crazy AKA Spit Bombie or Shoalwater on the ebb tide......as the tides build so will those pressure waves!
The Choona were big macks mixed with longtails...I got 2 big macks arond 6-7kg on fly....no longies were fooled >:(

Aaron.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Heading East off Mooloolaba tomorrow for a jig if the swell is still NE, if not down to the Cape for a Pop and SP's. The current is usually about 1/3 of what you guy's get to the Sth of us, last year I was out your way with Bill, Duncan and Matt and was blown away by the 'river' running around a FAD :o
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hmmmmm - yummy

Sounds like the conditions I love are upon us.....

Bring on the weekend.  Have you seen the tides..... ?

8)

Aaron Concord

Bun.

The 'river' was pouring!
Truly a sight to behold for a southern spot, that's for sure....

Crazy,

It was mad-house out there man.....really steep pressure waves and 6kn of current made it a no-go zone for boats under 5.5m....it was the conditions to fire the fish up, though too dicey to fish from the Galeforce.
Pity, a little less wind and it would have been peeeeeeerfect.
You know it ;D

Aaron.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Aaron, Lowy told me about the Humpback that was scraping barnicles before it woke up. Sounds like the currents are pouring through. He also told me about the small black that was hooked on a jig on Sunday amongst a hot kingy session.
Crazy Pete...take care out there on the w/end, the tides will be maxing out on Friday
Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:11:34 PM by Chris Young

Aaron Concord

Crusty,

I don't think the humpback judged the increase of current very well as it surfed towards a ridge we were trying to fish.
One second it was off the bow then it came to the surface with a fright!
The bottom came up to scrape his keel!
That will happen when the 4kn of current speeds up to 9 over the shallow ridge!
Yeah...the black marlin took the jig on the drop, as they do 99% of the time. Would have been cool to see.
With the blacks turning up in 80-90m, the little ones won't be far off, nor the mahi mahi, wahoo and big G's...happy happy joy joy  ;D ;D ;D

Crazy,
I'll be happy if ya in a 5.5m boat or bigger, dude....it will be touch n go in some spots....

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hiya Chris n Aaron,

I hear what you are both saying - thanks for the concern, its nice to hear and I will be doing this for a long time yet so safety is #1 - however - bring it I say.

Seen it all before from above and below the water line so dont you worrie about me - all is good yo. I was born for this shit and the crew understand and respect it.

This time of the year is my best crack at a 70 and I will be trying hard again, I know he's thier but to date he just laughs at my sad little attempts to stop him.

Hmmmm hopefully this time round ah, but I still love the trying...... see ya's on the water soon

8)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
80-90mts Wide Caloundra, 10-15nts Bloody northerlie :(, no Ambo's  :'(, no Kingies  :'(, no currant :-\, but got a feed  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Gordon Low

Bun,

You gotta love it when the bucketmouths are firing on jigs.... saves getting your esky and fingers smelling like pichards! :) Shame you guys didn't find the Kingies and Ambos... we had a seriously hot session on fish up to 12kg with Bill on Sunday.... lost a few jigs too ::)

Gordo

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yeah Gordon, my mate was on the bait and we went 50/50%. The Sea Rock was the winner on the day, no takers on Hookers  :o, Zest or Smith :-\ It is all good ;D

I came south a month ago to the 'Bulldog' wreck in 70m East of the Cape, showed plenty of life but Dave and I jigged our butts off for 0. 'I will be back'
   Bun

I think I need a 'Bill' trip  ;D
Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:21:13 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Bernard Tracey

G'day Aaron, Just a quick question about the 4.8 Gale force mate. I've got a good mate up here in Townsville who is looking at getting one. Just want a boat to chase everything from Barra,GT's,Macs to Marlin(you may know the problem). At the moment we do it out of my 3.9 Cairns custom craft(fun in 20Kn), so we are not expecting miracles. Be great to here how it goes or anyone Else's ideas on similar boats of mass spinal destruction. Thanks Bernard.

Aaron Concord

Hi Bernard,

The Galeforce isn't a bad little boat for bay & offshore work (when you pick the right days for it!).
Being 'glass, I think you'd find the ride softer for its length than a comparable tinny.
It's about right for creeks & bay work. Needs a couple lean posts or drop in cages for serious popping offshore, since the Fish Head boat has front AND rear casting platforms. It does make you feel a tad vunerable when fishing 18kg of drag....for saftey, we pop from between the casting decks just to have some gunnel hight to 'slam into'  ;D