Ray Stevens

Crimping Correctly...attention to detail
October 25, 2008, 09:07:40 PM
I do not know if attention to detail has been covered on Crimping, but I did find this link rather interesting for anybody making use of Crimps.

It would be a pity to lose a good size GT because of lack of attention to detail...I remember Luke posting in another thread that he does make use of Crimp connections on a shorter heavy duty leader...for those influenced into trying out a similiar leader...check out the attention to detail required for crimping at the link below...

http://leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Cheers

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Crimping Correctly...attention to detail
October 25, 2008, 09:51:49 PM
I think that exact link has been put up before... ???

Good info

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2008, 09:07:26 PM
yes, I put this up a while back but it is still good of Ray to share what he has found. I think the thread I started probably is back a few pages now. This is an excellent guide
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ray Stevens

November 02, 2008, 09:35:13 PM
Incidently Brandon...and Luke..
Some experience input from you guys is appreciated...mayby Im finicky I dont know, but with attention to detail, keeping in mind those fish of a life time that come along now and then...I was researching crimping techniques....
Just when I thought oh yes crimping will make things easier...its like Ive discovered a whole new...Science of crimping...and if you do not get it right using the correct tools...you where better off not crimping at all.

Check out this link... http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/natural-baits-and-terminal-rigs/can-you-trust-your-crimps-6037-page-2.html  it certainly has me studying more closely what I am trying to accomplish when using crimps...in particular the tools I use....

Cheers Guys

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 03, 2008, 08:45:28 AM
Theres a lot of good info in that one Ray.
I for one don't use crimps on mono very often but that said I have never really thought about how much damage overcrimping can do to the mono... makes sense though.
The way I read into it I think they were using Ali sleaves for the tests, I wonder if the results would be different with copper sleaves?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 03, 2008, 03:29:54 PM
I had trouble on my 100lb FC live bait rigs in 10-12 years ago using Ali crimps, the crimp would compress the FC together and crush it [splinter], once I changed to Fig8 Copper sleeves I never had a problem. The Ali is OK for mono but the copper still do a better job IMO ;D.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Ray Stevens

November 03, 2008, 08:17:19 PM
Have been looking at Jinkai Crimping tools....for the hand held...

SC-2C This tool is a good alternative for fishermen who use only the smaller sleeves, sizes H-K. Includes a tip cutter, textured grips, a safety clasp, and two crimping positions for use with JINKAI line 250 lb. test and smaller.

Does anybody own a SC- 2C ? was looking for info on the other 2 diameters ?

The Jinkai Bench Press is boat mountable...Comes with size "2-3" die installed for 175lb to 500lb line. And you get an additional die size "4" for 100lb to 150lb line.

So you could crimp with the bench press onboard, for the strongest possible crimp, but you would have to be running a big Game boat for it to be worth your while.

So it looks like the Jinkai SC-2C that crimps from 250 lb down, or even the
SC-3 hand crimpers that crimp from 300 lb down.

Any of you guys using these...?

Am starting to snoop around Online for hand held crimpers that give a pressure read out...that you can test breaking strain against later on to establish your best pressure setting for say copper double crimps on a specific breaking strain of mono line...

That should be interesting because I am starting to find different brands that are available out there in the under $100-00 range...have not finished researching that yet...

Cheers

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 03, 2008, 08:50:43 PM
I had trouble on my 100lb FC live bait rigs in 10-12 years ago using Ali crimps, the crimp would compress the FC together and crush it [splinter], once I changed to Fig8 Copper sleeves I never had a problem. The Ali is OK for mono but the copper still do a better job IMO ;D.

I used to think the same... but then I did some tests of my own.
I have a simple test I do with every single game leader/rigging before it makes it into my tackle box with a 25kg set of scales. If it can be pulled to 25kg it passes the QC test ;)
Anyway, one day I'd just finished putting 120lb Jinkai on a heap of Tuna Feather lures using fig 8 copper sleeves... and they all broke @20kg(give or take a few kg). I then recrimped with ali and they all passed the 25kg test!
Dont get me wrong, I do like using fig 8 copper crimps, but I think they do have their limitations... on lighter Mono, if I can fit 2 X fig 8 copper crimps on they get a show or on 250lb plus mono there's no dramas.
I dont know about FC... I've never tried comparing the 2 crimps, but when I use lighter Mono... it's "ali" all the way.

Dont take my word for it... do your own tests.
<*///><

stuart bradley

November 04, 2008, 09:30:16 PM
I was playing around trying to make a really small and portable crimper. Didnt want normal crimpers as I was dragging them out the rocks for criming wind on leaders of about 250lb to shorter 6ft leaders of varying strength for live baiting. I tested the sort of pull I got out of each crimp and crimper till it gave, it wasnt measured but was more qualitative. results were interesting. Just 2 crimped loops and pulled up till it gave.

Good way to test crimps, crimpers and styles.

I still believe a halfway decent knot is still stronger. Ended up dropping the wind ons to 130-150lb, and could then knot them with a uni knot.