Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another Marion 2008 Trip Report
June 06, 2008, 04:28:49 PM
Well I just got back from Nomad?s final week at Marion for May/June.  This was my first time on a trip like this, and I would have to say that it was the fish I didn?t catch which really opened my eyes!!!

As per the previous trips the fishing was slow, but there was still enough fish around to keep us interested.  I initially thought the trip would be cancelled due to the weather as there was a strong wind/gale warning out the night before we left, but in reality it wasn?t too bad.  In fact we had only one afternoon that was blown out.

On the catching side the best fish for the trip was a GT of about 35kg, there were also a couple in the 20-25kg bracket (I got 1 of these) and another a bit under.  There were a few rats as well.  There were plenty of smaller doggies, with the best around 30kg, and a number about 15kg.  There were also a few nice trout in the 10kg + category, with the best around 17kg.  Obviously there was a mix of red bass, jobbies, cod, barracuda etc as well.

On a personal note I nearly started my account with a estimated 40-45kg GT on jig.  I had done most of the hard work (so Ed the guide told me), and then in a final bid for freedom it found a bommie and cut me off.  On another day we had a 35kg GT swallow a stickbait 2m from the bow of the dory only to spit it out, and then 20 secs later a 25kg fish hit beside the boat and pulled the hooks a second later ? at this point Carl claimed we were cursed!!!  I also lost a very good fish which I didn?t see (but Carl thought it must have been the same 40kg+ fish they raised earlier in the day at the same spot due to knot failure ? I nearly cried??

And then there were the huge doggies that we had no chance of landing.  I have never been demolished so convincingly!!!  When we actually turned something, the sharks decided they were hungry, so ate them on us.

Anyway here are a few pics from the week.  I wish I could say it was me holding the big fish, but unfortunately it wasn?t.

Catchya,
Simon

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Another Marion 2008 Trip Report
June 07, 2008, 09:08:09 AM
Nice one mate, those trout are rippers!
Cairns Bommie Basher

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 07, 2008, 09:45:30 AM
Some quality there alright.

Love to see a 15kg+ trout in the flesh... :)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2008, 08:22:08 AM
Simon, sounded like you guy's enticed a few more hits out of the GT's than we could  ;D, and we all now know that the bloody Sharks like Doggies as much as we do, that excitement then sinking feeling  :(, good report mate.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Santosh Shanmuga

June 08, 2008, 10:23:51 AM
You should drop some baits down for those sharks...and then hang on!

Nice report!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2008, 03:05:37 PM
You don't need bait Santosh, they also like lures >:(
Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:09:06 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 10, 2008, 08:53:30 AM
I forgot to post the picture of the big trout, so here it is.

Also I thought I would post photos of the only injury from the week, which looks bad, although Arthur hardly complained at all and was fishing the next day.  It was not brought about as you would imagine ie a big fish, but was from when the guys snapped a lure off that had gotten snagged on the reef.  They went in and the deckie grabbed it and placed it in the boat, then they started motoring out whilst the owner grabbed it to re rig.  Unknown to all there was some braid hanging out the back of the boat which got caught around the prop.  I think you can work out the rest.  Anyway I think it is a good lesson to all.

Catchya,

Simon

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 10, 2008, 09:26:38 PM
Ouch, that looks like a pretty delicate operation.... with the boltcutters!! (wince)
Cairns Bommie Basher

Neale Bird

November 09, 2008, 10:25:21 PM
Ouch ouch ouch :-[ that aint nice

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 10, 2008, 02:26:09 PM
Ouch! Not nice! I guess thats 1 of the reasons why some people crush the barbs eh? Nice fish!
Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:27:54 PM by Damien Phillip

Dietmar Brock

November 15, 2008, 05:52:32 AM
Hello,

this is nearly the worst case, big fishes in the water and the best lure locked in your hand. Here in Germany we use a special boltcutter from Knipex. It is a little tool with a big cutting capicity. It is the Knipex CoBolt. It cuts piano wire up to a diameter of 3,6 mm. It is only 200 mm long and fits into every tackle box. You didn't need much power to cut a big Owner treble.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=783&L=1&grpID=14&ukat=schneid10

This tool rescued some fishing days. It is the smallest cutter with the biggest cutting capicity on the market.

Bye, Dietmar
Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:58:18 AM by Dietmar Brock

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
November 23, 2008, 12:04:22 AM
ooo mate that last pics gotta hurt,some solid big trout there...Pitty bout the munched up doggy!!