Santosh Shanmuga

Re: Introductions :: Who Are You?
February 13, 2008, 01:21:07 PM
Hello all,

My name is Santosh Shanmuga, and I live in the Great-Lakes State, Michigan. I'm a flyfishing enthusiast, and spend a lot of my time flyfishing in Michigan and Florida when not involved with school. I have only 2 experiences with GTs, both while casting flies into the surf in Hawaii. One busted off, and the other was landed. It was probably aroun 9 or 10 lbs, only a little baby.

After I graduate HS, I plan on taking a trip to Christmas Island, and possibly other places to fish for more exotic species. Bones, tuna, and trevally.

I hope I learn a lot of info here, and hopefully, I can infuse these popping techniques and flyfishing together and create a truly unique experience.

-SS

jrs

February 15, 2008, 11:39:58 AM
hello everybody!

i am jr from manila, philippines  ;D

haven't caught any GT so far but here's a pix of my recent catch

this the closest i get to the elusive GT, except for some 1kilo, 2 kilos trevally

4kg queenie  :D

i have all the gears set and all i need now is a visa (from the wifey) to go to Grande Island in Subic.

wish me luck

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
February 16, 2008, 08:50:08 PM
Hi All,

My name is Bwanna Surya.

I am an Indonesian living in Auckland, New Zealand.

New to the popping world but keen to learn.

I have been visiting this forum for quite a while and I have to say that this forum has been a great source of informations for me.

I am currently planning a trip to Komodo for this comming June and looking forward to catch my first GT.

Regards,
Bwanna

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 16, 2008, 09:35:52 PM
welcome to the site, guys. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. We don't promise to be able to answer them all  :D but hopefully, one of our members here will be able to respond.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 28, 2008, 06:55:03 PM
My name is David Clumpner and I live in the Kerama Islands in Okinawa, Japan.  I was an American Peace Corps Volunteer in Palau for two years, where I was introduced to GTs.  I caught many fish, but never landed anything over 15kg.  I promised myself after leaving there that if I ever found myself in GT land again that I would make an all-out attempt to land a 50lb. (22k?) GT.  I brought a Stella along with me and am just realizing after reading this board that my rods will probably not hold up, so I'll be researching these fantastic Japanese rods I keep reading about.  Our season gets going in about a month so I'm busy preparing!  Oh, also, I'll be doing most of my fishing from a kayak.

hooks

February 29, 2008, 01:13:07 PM
Hi Im Sherwin  from the Philippines..

Hope to learn and fish with you guys ..Nice and verry informative site!!

Cheers 

daniel mcnulty

March 03, 2008, 01:06:22 PM
Hi Daniel McNulty far north coast new south wales is my stomping ground I catch many small gts in shallow water here and fishing heavier for the larger ones and kingfish  find them easy to release in good nick.
I also chase longtail tuna {northern blue fin} from the rocks in my area and Jewfish when the tuna are not in season . Look forward to reading some posts.

martin brennan

March 03, 2008, 05:04:15 PM
gday, my name is martin brennan. i live in townsville, north queensland australia.

mad keen to chase anything with fins but have a real passion for big GTs, which we chase regularly on popper, jig and fly. being located in this part of the world am fortunate that have immediate access to some serious GTs and the thrills associated with their capture

great site and keep up the good work

cheers
martin

cdog

March 04, 2008, 01:24:57 AM
Hi all, Captain Clint Engel here, aka cdog,

What a great site! I love my popping and jigging! It all started for me in the late 80's spinning and trolling for Australian Salmon that I would catch for later use as burley on Snapper and Sharks. After a few seasons I worked out that at certain times of the tide the Salmon would sit deep in the water column as I could clearly identify them on the sounder together with birds sitting in wait on the surface. It was about then that I introduced myself to deep jigging. Using Halco slices and Hexes as well as Lasers I would drop them into unsuspecting Salmon schools and rapidly retrieve them to within 3 to 4 meters of the surface. After many successful sessions over following years I then applied this technique on Kingfish, Snapper, Flathead and associated by-catch in temperate waters and Coral Trout, Cods, GTs along with other assorted reef species in the tropical arena.

Since then my enthusiasm together with my tackle has grown exponentially out of control. Though at the end of the day my favorite fishing would have to be throwing small poppers around inshore reefs having small to average Coral Trout and GT's smashing them on the surface.

Anyway I hope I can log on to this site on a regular basis when I'm not on the water!

Cheers, Clint

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2008, 07:26:21 AM
Hi Guys - welcome to the site.

There are too many of you to welcome separately but welcome all the same!  :D

Just one request and that is involving your usernames. I set up another thread which a number of you probably didn't read. It is a request for all members to use their real names as their user name.

To Change your user name, please go into "PROFILE" and then under the heading of MODIFY PROFILE, select "Account Related Settings". Under "Username", change your "name " to your real name. That should do it!

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Concord

March 10, 2008, 10:43:03 PM
Hi All,

I forgot to fill this in!!!
I'm Aaron Concord.
Chased GT's since 1995.
Have only the privalege to chase them at the Jardine River, Weipa, The Great Barrier Reef from the Ribbons down to off 1770.
In the "Reef", I've fished the Ribbons, Slasher's off Townsville, Bugatti, White Tip & Wyat Earp reefs off Mackay, Shoalwater Bay and the Islands to the north such as High Peak, Fraser Island (BIG FISH!!!!!!) Moreton Island, North Stradbroke and the rivers around the Gold Coast.PB came from North Straddie last November.
Also been to Cato Island, Wreck, Kenn & Marion Reefs to film them eat while clients on NOMAD charters got stretched.
Biggest I have seen in the flesh was 80odd kg that escaped after a 20min fight...it wore through a 100lb fluorocarbon twisted leader. My mate had never popped before, let alone hook anything over 2kg!! I was bitterly dissapointed with that loss since he had done the hard yards and the big mumma was 20feet down in clear water when the leader broke.
I film (Australian Adventure Productions), I write(F&B, Bluewater, some up-coming stuff in Fly Angler).
Got into popper fishing at the old age of 10...never looked back!!
I sport, game & fly fish, though casting and retrieving lures & flies is what I love best.

jun_delloso

March 28, 2008, 04:50:00 AM
Hey All!

My name is Jun, from the Philippines, very new to Jigging and Popping and currently in the process of completing my jigging outfit. Once i land my first game sized fish on jigging, i could aquaint myself with popping. hope to learn from the experts in the forum :)

cheers!

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2008, 11:16:26 AM
Hi Guys,

Some of you may know me already.

My name is George Pang and I'm a popaholic.

Based in Brisvegas, have fished around the Qld coast for GTs with varying success since mid 90's. At the moment can't fish this season due to professional commitments, but next season will going very hard. Mainly GT, but also trailerboat gamefishing and jigging. Look forward to sharing stories and info with you guys.

BTW great site Luke, keep up the good work!

Brook Ebzery

March 29, 2008, 05:28:20 PM
My Name is Brook I am 15 years old i started gt fishing since last x-mas becuse i got a stella 10 000 i use to do a lot of billfishing but havent done it for ages. I have caught 2 gts so far one 16 kg and the other on 20kg hope to catch a 50 kg some day.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 08, 2008, 08:45:41 AM
Hey all, my name is Warwick Joyce. Location Yeppoon Queensland. New to GT fishing.... well new to big GT's anyway. I am keen to get amongst it with some of the best fishing grounds so close to home (shoalwater).
Cheers